Chute side setup

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you.

Yeah, my husband wanted to put those cedar stays up to discourage charging and jumping. Personally, I think the net wire topped with barb wire was enough but I also really appreciate the effort he put in. The stays are only 1-2" in the ground and every once in a while we have a neighbor's rank bull in there and the visual wall really helps keep them from challenging it. I'm dreading the day I have to replace them all - which will be sooner than I prefer. Hopefully I can hire 2-3 teenagers one summer week to do it quickly.

The tub is actually a Preifert. They were the only ones with a prefab that swung all of the way around. We don't know how to weld and needed it in a hurry so the pre-fab was fantastic for us.

The design is a one-man system because we knew that the day would come where my husband could not help. Plus, many times I cannot find help or just need to grab and work that one cow or bull. I love the design and life is easy with it. We used portable panels on the outer tub with the intention of expanding it when the herd expands. It will comfortably hold 40-50 cows.

Those with a roof over the squeeze, is there a reluctance for cattle to enter the shady part?
Getting older and tired of shovelling snow…….

My BTO neighbours have two barns set up with the Silencer hydraulic squeeze and double wide squeeze alley inside the building, the box outside. The shade of inside seems to make no difference to them. They are mostly wild range cows so there is the possibility that nothing frightens them let alone a little shade.

Those with a roof over the squeeze, is there a reluctance for cattle to enter the shady part?
Getting older and tired of shovelling snow…….
It doesn't worry mine going under the roof. What I did notice when the roof was not completed at that time of the year in the early morning when I start working them the sun was in their eyes and they did not want to move up the alley, the finished roof fixed that.

Ken