Chute side setup

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a gate in front of the chute that can be opened to let them in a pen if they need separated. Sometimes that pen has calves that haven't been worked yet though. More pens would be nice.

I spent some time designing my set up to make everything easy. I had worked enough with crappy pens that I wanted something better. My only regret is I wish I had the money to put in pipe but we had a bunch of free RR cross ties that we picked up here and there from the RR. (These were brand new ties that were left over from jobs and we asked if we could have them.) Free is always better in my book.

The simple answer - chute side, we have a 2 x 12 shelf that is 6 feet long. But there is so much more... I'll try to remember to take some pictures or video and post it.

Thanks. Pictures are always nice. Curious if the 2x12 is next to the chute or alley and if it gets in the way.

I thought railroad companies charged. How does one get ahold of a railroad company to inquire? Free is always nice. I used free used telephone poles from local electric coop. I don't think I will go that route again.

I don't like a chute that opens to wide open spaces. I want them going into pen (s). I also want a gate or other barrier to keep them from turning around and coming back at me. I know an older man who had one come out of the chute turn around and got him. Broke his femur.
My double gates didn't turn out exactly as planned. But by the time a cow clears the chute and turns back she is looking at gates. She could blow through them but one that is that bad you should know it before opening the chute.

P4262844.JPGP4262845.JPG

Depends on situation for me. My chute turns out into my catch pen just incase I miss the cow ain't out I just gotta run her back into barn and down ally so I usually just keep a barrel with some water in it just incase one gets salty she don't flip a table on me and it takes less room
To work around

Mine turns out into a big trap that the hay barn and equipment is in. It would be better if they turned out into a small pen but we can still catch one easy enough if we miss her.

My wife missed the crazy horned one the other day. It was stuck in the chute just past the shoulders while I'm 5 ft in from of the chute trying to open the gate to get it in a pen. I was a bit rushed to get that gate open before that thing forced its way out the chute!

Thanks. Pictures are always nice. Curious if the 2x12 is next to the chute or alley and if it gets in the way.

I thought railroad companies charged. How does one get ahold of a railroad company to inquire? Free is always nice. I used free used telephone poles from local electric coop. I don't think I will go that route again.

Well, see we drive by 4 RR tracks and there's a hub close by. When they replaced the ties, we drove up to the crew and asked them if we could have any extras when they were done. Usually they might have 1 or 2. When there was a train wreck and they replaced a half mile of track, we snagged 6 or 7 but they also left 4 - 18 footers. We came back with the trailer and my husband, by himself picked up 3 of them and wiggled them onto the trailer. The 4th was extremely heavy and he actually asked me to help. I laughed but gave it my all. It was enough and he got it loaded.

Then one day my husband got the bright idea to ask them what they were going to do with all of the used ties they just pulled up. Well they were going to haul them off so he said, why not just come a few miles up the road and dump it there? Ok, so they did. 4 semi trucks before he stopped them. from that, we were able to pull out about 40 good posts. The rest we burned and said we'd never do that again.

Oh, and I forgot to get the pictures. Actually I was too busy taking advantage of a low wind day to spray my pastures.

Last edited:
The only working that the grown cows get is a pour on wormer it is also used ever two to three weeks for fly control. The cows are worked through the five foot wide chute. I have a 2 x 12 board installed on the side of the chute side the be able to reach each cow. I load 8 or so cows in the chute and lock the gate behind them Open gate and let them out an work another group. The calves get their shots and whatever mostly blackleg. Also at that time they will get castrated and implants put in. The calves are loaded and hauled to the vet. Works for me and my cows are as healthy as anyone's in the area.

The only working that the grown cows get is a pour on wormer it is also used ever two to three weeks for fly control. The cows are worked through the five foot wide chute. I have a 2 x 12 board installed on the side of the chute side the be able to reach each cow. I load 8 or so cows in the chute and lock the gate behind them Open gate and let them out an work another group. The calves get their shots and whatever mostly blackleg. Also at that time they will get castrated and implants put in. The calves are loaded and hauled to the vet. Works for me and my cows are as healthy as anyone's in the area.
You don't Lepto your cows?

Well, you asked and I finally remembered.

2x12 on the right serves as the table. The 2 gates on the exit - one is on each side of the escape. We took a 10' gate and cut it in half to make the 2 x 5' gates. They swing 180 degrees. We normally do not have to close the one on the inside but the outside one stays closed when working and releasing the cattle. If we are working a calf and his momma has already run, we might close the inside to keep her from coming back.
y4m1GRMDaQT4CeNZ5Uv6F52YJsxn1CAkL1v8vaqZzrACuE6aRv-ZNYjHAY40hgoLETzWawkLMDPxWStDtke9T29WMtdjHNuXD8sCIeEkTQeCbAvrS0CXcN0Nya4Ny0NOoiWCT-CS_FBbeK8yT5AYC4Fot1uRHhhrpa9tH-5Oja_krgNXpEhG9AZOBIjuMRiiuVF

Here's the view from the walk way.
y4mTUKJbtNWN39rrttqZbdSpDO9zGs6UkeNIJH8lJFAnUTK8tOG8uda7HWQqKPBD99mIaotRK8MF9gy073M-DimEY2VZME7EJD1deFKsrs6vJmjCK0SJlqf-lJlVEg_lfjp65XtyWoXnVJHUt4t3_XZa3m66IU9mCMDSCSj2wnC6XIH5abD2d7imQ04jcq9Z7Wn

I have a walk way that puts the workers above the cattle. The outside of the chutes is about 8-12" higher than the inside. IN this photo you can visualize the cattle will come into the area and then to the sweep. The gate swings out to the walkway and spins 320 degrees. The work area is behind the cedar wall. The gate by the cedar wall has a rubber mat to keep the cattle from seeing the workers. The other long rubber mats are an emergency exit if the worker needs to get out quickly.
y4mM2G1p73gG5crK1OyQCrnpK5PYr-52sbBN6Wwt1mMzwXV6Pf0DojTH9ZyIugtexpEXQxU4DqfEOUvUVLmDc5MvW6CVCLOk3eIpRaqBYzUFQE5KLMKis2ULSJJCk4J54Wj8jYsf3omcob2R5oWS31w6ZtZ2SdIGozGY77Rfq1HlYqVGZ1rhMpLhvYOIf5kkr2P

Once in the chutes we use a slider gate to prevent backs ups and allows the hand to go get the next set of cattle. The chute has a sorting gate that allows us to load out to the trailer. There is a ramp because our trailer sits higher than most. I also designed a quick gate with a drop down walk through as seen here. I can flip it up and tie it off and the gate closes so we can work / process the cattle. (The trailer is pulled away from the chute in this photo, but when it is backed up, the worker can pull a rope on the trailer to close the sliding gate without having to leave the walkway.)

y4mzGxPmxNTHr3aLPk7j4xYzY5EH7iRQUaYoUkq2UMUJ6lnf9n8vIZuPudBnvcrlyISJZ8zzwRk1vfOhXFYfjoqZx7Hxo4n4a7-M6wfGZ2vTj0nbnQ3AdXq2TM2AnOI8Qa29GXhhB4fyE7SmYxX4EpW9K7Tu_ZirnaPejd1u33zkscqew-lAwe74mopYn1PSBFJ

y4mQzDUn-SavP5mhLaKPWclE4_1g-dq75Jgch5DaudecgpPWeK3G9y5v8ABzV0Mabvtq4LpFthVdo_yvnyiOf6sPdb-yJvgoOatveLdKcm4xCV78HwpIDCSxVPH4xT--n62mTqlZZqDrwrnnynriVd9HZ2L2SZAxQocX6KvbU0VMbLc2eFe0n4gnOtuqr_inZFl

y4meiyWbSleZgddqvoaz8cIW11TUMoZZBwpbLqg8zi2UajWJwYiPPTap4vktAsRGAUKIbP0hvWoVsuIqgJuRmzVLxgR9tuKwvyJRm8GDUOV6fSkEaY4-UZYLbLBSuKJNQC28wz00xKCQrdPskcQdFh_cTPjQLF7Qyu7ssXDMJ6Jcns7vV8MKpTLk_AoJuYHKmB-

Prior to the palpation cage, there is an emergency exit gate. We've never used it other than to enter the empty chutes for maintenance.
y4mEwmhFsnNWBXzIpmCo9z4I6MvTaly0Tw8pyVQ2z3I_pYtKPxHccXtoh6fxdhq1gqlJiSSDpsHwmPworFvyXABPcs1Qbm7cn_nftLKkdwJR8WCBM-uVH6WOB8JNf3CAQtZRE83jPgkL37cccBu637ualnXzes60rrbtUt9cJL198EnP8kqt_AtyaA3RFuHHmtn

Here's the aerial of the design.
Pens.JPG

I drew this whole thing out on paper, including exactly where to put each post, which is RR cross ties. I got most of the ideas from a feller in Australia who has this "one man working chutes" concepts. This was a few years prior to Temple Grandin's rise in popularity. The guy has so many great ideas I bought several of his "books". It was worth every penny. I can work my whole herd alone if I need to. My dogs often help me with sorting, too.

Ideally I'd like to convert it all to metal, but as you can imagine it is cost prohibitive. Some day my ship will come in and I'll have the funds.

My next 2 improvements will be to add a cover from the working squeeze to the red gate - which is the west side. It will help protect the squeeze chute better from the weather and provide shade and harsh weather protection for cattle that might be temporarily penned. The second improvement will be to put a concrete pad under the squeeze and palpation cage. It is very annoying to have a rat or snake come out from under there while working.

One thing I learned was you can't have too many gates or water sources.