Chute side setup

Help Support CattleToday:

KAstocker

Reaction score
What is everyone's chute side setup? Need to figure out what is most efficient.

This was ours today (after cleaning up a bit).

20220423_165943.jpg

I do the same with the tailgate and/or one of those plastic foldout tables.

Last year I had a decent size bull calf that laid down in the squeeze. I thought I hurried enough and cut him loose. He came out and started stumbling back right in to my table. He sent surrenges and stuff flying. It took like 5 minutes to clean everything up.

I use one of those plastic folding tables like Brute says. We've got a plastic DeWalt carrying size toolbox that we keep syringes, repeater guns, ear tags/taggers and stuff like that in for fast clean up. One of the best things I did was build a cover over our chute with a concrete slab. The concrete is nice but the cover has been great and made things so much better. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow

Is wind an issue with the plastic tables? Can you weigh them down enough? It was terribly windy for us yesterday. We just backed the truck out of the wind, put everything in boxes, and put rocks in the boxes. It worked well.

I use the back of my Polaris to store everything. There are 2 administering shots (one on each side) with a bucket for used disposable syringes/needles and all the killed vaccines pre-filled in separate coolers.

I use a old deer stand seat..bolted it too the side of the alley wall, just behind the chute..and it folds up flush when not using it..

Should have added that we use the truck too. Everytime I don't park it next to the chute I end up running to it for something we need.

What does everyone do to sort culls that need to go to the sale?

Should have added that we use the truck too. Everytime I don't park it next to the chute I end up running to it for something we need.

What does everyone do to sort culls that need to go to the sale?
We have a truck and trailer ready. Either load 'em first, hold 'em back and load when we're done with the others or back the trailer up as needed if it's a spur of the moment decision when she's in the chute. We generally work cattle on the weekend and the sale isn't until Wednesday, so haul them to the barn in the meantime.

I have a simple piece of plywood nailed to the corral poles on one side with a couple 2x4 legs on the other side. A protein tub for garbage. An electric branding iron so there is a metal bucket to set it in to keep from starting things on fire. I have another project going when I took the picture.

There is 3 main pens, 4 smaller pens, 2 different allies, and a total of 19 gates. I don't load out of the chute and you can't get near it with a rig anyway. There is a separate ally to load out of.

P4232840.JPG

Mine is inside so don't have to worry about rot. I have a round spool like internet or powerline cable comes on. Big enough to hold anything and heavy enough that it takes a lot to move it.

I load out cull cows from the chute into a trailer. I pretty well only cull in the fall when we palpate. Sell mostly opens but do cull a few for various other reasons. I'd like a different setup but can't figure how to do it in a good way. The trailer works great it just takes a few minutes each time

Latest posts