Chronic??

Help Support CattleToday:

jknott

Reaction score
I have a 300# heifer that I purchased from a local salebarn with some issues. She had scours and pneumonia when I brought her home. Someone told me she may be chronic which I guess they're indicating she'll never get better. I have given her probiotics which is an oral paste for the scours. She is over that problem. The sale barn vet gave her Nuflor and I have since given her penicillin about every two or three days. I've also given her shots of B12 every few days. She is eating and drinking but her get up and go has gotten worse. She lays around with her head down most of the time as though she has no energy. Any suggestions as to how I can get this girl up and feeling better? This heifer was $4 bucks. Yes $4 bucks! I've got more in meds than what she cost me.

How long have you had her?

What are you currently feeding her?

Temperature?

...and of course you have her near other animals but seperated to not be sharing water, feed, etc. correct?

If you want to spend the money and maybe have chance of saving her you need something besides pen or LA. You need a serious (expensive) antibiotic like Nuflor, Excenel, Excede, etc. You have to get it from a vet

I have owned this calf for 3 weeks. She's been eating coastal hay and some grain feed. (very little) She improved daily for two weeks and this past week has fizzled. She is seperated from all animals. I've got her running free in the hall of my horse barn. I've watered her in a bucket and have add electrolytes to the water.

I have the best luck with Spectamycin on chronics-- you have to give it every day for 5-7 days but the up side is that its really cheap.
If she does make it - get her gone before next summer

You need to start her on some serious antibiotics like baytril, etc. She may seem to recover and still go down eventualy, but the baby antibiotics you are giving now arent going to cut it. Once she recovers you need to ship her right away. This is going to be an ongoing fight for someone. Dont forget the withdrawal period for consumption.

Latest posts