Chronic Pneumonia and BRD

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
KCA presented an editorial by Dr. Michelle Arnold on this topic. It focused on the role of Mycoplasma bovis in chronic Bovine Respiratory Disease (BRD). It highlights the frustration of dealing with sick cattle when it seems like you get them over the primary causative infectious organism only to have the resident Mycoplasma bovis occupy the lesion of the causative microbe and initiate another round of pathological conditions.

It emphasizes how important it is to keep your calves healthy because there is a limit to how much you can accomplish with injectables!!!

callmefence":2oamarbo said:
I've seen it first hand many times. If we stick a needle other than for vaccination in a animal. It goes on the Cull list.
That's the best advice ever given on this site. IMO
I bet you and I have about the same number of sick cows - calves per year.

I had my very first "lung-er" last summer. Shipped her to the local sale barn. Lost my butt on her.
But, I do not believe just because a calf gets sick, they will continue to be ill. I've treated a number of calves, one time only. Not a cull in my book. If chronic, absolutely.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ekq2nck said:
I had my very first "lung-er" last summer. Shipped her to the local sale barn. Lost my butt on her.
But, I do not believe just because a calf gets sick, they will continue to be ill. I've treated a number of calves, one time only. Not a cull in my book. If chronic, absolutely.
Quicker you hit em..the better results too..

Jeanne - Simme Valley":to5tbv9b said:

Usually by the time a animal is sick enough to pull it's already causing permanent lung damage that increases exponentially every day the animal is sick.. even if not a lunger..apt to be a poor doer .

callmefence":29a5aj8g said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":29a5aj8g said:

Usually by the time a animal is sick enough to pull it's already causing permanent lung damage that increases exponentially every day the animal is sick.. even if not a lunger..apt to be a poor doer .
But it has good breeding and numbers.
Cattle are no different than people some just get sick more often than others. The only difference is you can't cull people.

True Grit Farms":3jpu05c6 said:
callmefence":3jpu05c6 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3jpu05c6 said:

Cattle are no different than people some just get sick more often than others. The only difference is you can't cull people.

So wrong. Hitler not only did it. He industrialized it!

Bright Raven":3rzzbpbe said:
True Grit Farms":3rzzbpbe said:
callmefence":3rzzbpbe said:

So wrong. Hitler not only did it. He industrialized it!
I refuse to go backwards, full steam ahead. What's done is done and there ain't nothing anyone can do about it. I don't cull my cows because their Jewish or black. Your example is wrong, I don't think sickness had anything to do with the atrocities that were commited in the past myself.

We aren't as strict as callmefence we will keep one that has been given a shot for foot rot. But if one is treated for respiratory illness they get culled for all the reasons callmefence listed.

Gizmom

Latest posts