Chronic Cough

Help Support CattleToday:

Windys_way

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Becca and I have decided I need some help with a calf I just cant figure out. We have a farm in Maine, horses, goats, rabbits chickens and all that. We have a small herd of cattle, 17 head, 4 of which are under 4 months and one that is 17 years, so its quite a spread of ages. I have 4 that live here permanently and the rest are for breeding and beefing. I take in calves that others dont want or that may have issues they cant figure out. Which leads me to Windy. Windy is a 10 weeks old calf. Her Dam died the morning after birth, it was a difficult birth and it was assumed the calf would be born dead after all the dam went through, but she wasnt. When the dam died the farmer called me and asked me to take the calf as he didnt have the time to deal with having to raise her. She got some colostrum but im not sure how much. Here is what has been going on since.

Came here at 1 day old.
Scoured, tube fed 3 days, electrolytes and half formula feedings.
Severely allergic to Formula, switched to Goats milk.
Coughing, no fever, no runny nose. Treated with Excede just in case. No change.
Treated for lung worm and she seems to get a little better. for awhile but still had a faint cough.
2nd round of lung worm treatment after 2 weeks (3 days each time)
Coughing didnt subside this time.
Vet checked and said lungs sounded good and heart sounded good.
Eating grain, goats milk and hay, drinking water fine.
Coat looks shiny, eyes are bright, ears perky and peeing and pooping fine.
Not growing much. approx 100lbs at 10 weeks, very thin.
Lives with 3 other calves with absolutely no issues. Only shares large stall with those calves. Let into the large pasture 2 days ago, before that she was in the enclosed calf pen. Her living areas kept clean and dry.
Her coughing is getting worse and her respirations are up, not dramatically but I can see it. I am very good with calves and have great luck with them, people will bring un-wanteds to me or their sick ones to help because I just seem to have a knack for them and I love to work with them. This calf has me stumped. Of all the calves that have come through my barn she is making me scratch my head and go WTH.
Maybe I need a different wormer and it is just lung worm,,,maybe its a heart condition she was born with? Any ideas, and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

A heart condition would be a good possibility, but in many cases the vet would hear fluid or a murmur I would think.
The lung infection could be fungal? ( I have heard if horses having that.) Therefore not responding to ATB. Also maybe try a different ATB.
I think that I would also consider injury to the back of her throat from tubing?

Just throwing some thoughts around. It is so hard to say......I would be watching her temp daily though. And checking her heart and lung sounds. If you are not confident in what to listen for, I would have the vet take a listen again.

:welcome: to the forum!

Latest posts