Chronic Cougher ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
One of the cutter bulls I bought got droopy and started to cough every couple minutes. I put him in the sick pen and gave two rounds of Nuflor, banamine, and one round of MuSe. He is looking good now and pushes up to the bunk, but he still has a wet cough once in a while. Would you switch meds at this point, or provide Nuflor with sulfa, or ?

Stocker Steve":3aaph0oo said:
One of the cutter bulls I bought got droopy and started to cough every couple minutes. I put him in the sick pen and gave two rounds of Nuflor, banamine, and one round of MuSe. He is looking good now and pushes up to the bunk, but he still has a wet cough once in a while. Would you switch meds at this point, or provide Nuflor with sulfa, or ?
Fresh pasture works wonders on chronics after youve tried all the high powered meds. I'm ready for it to get cold, this hot and cold is dead calf weather for backgrounding.

I agree on fresh pasture. It is a bit like us when recovering from cold/flu and we have a bit of a tracheitis, dust stirs it up and aggrevates the mucous membranes even more. Doctors prescribe antibiotics and repeat again just to get you out of their hair and shut you up. If they put you onto corticosteroids like prednisone you get relief immediately and things get a chance to heal. Fresh pasture can help a lot.

Ken

Stocker Steve":3t2gk75g said:
RanchMan90":3t2gk75g said:
Fresh pasture works wonders on chronics after youve tried all the high powered meds.
Stress reduction?
Yes, gets them out of the dust too with these temperature fluctuations. I would put them all out on pasture straight out of the trailer if they would come back to feed.

Had a wreck in progress some years ago. Damp, muddy, temperature fluctuations, unweaned sales barn calves, running out of meds... :( Opened up the gate and turned out all these sorta weaned coughing calves.

Worked good except for the ones that broke out to the neighbors dairy. When they saw those Holstein udders they thought they were in heaven. :nod:

Latest posts