Christmas Present

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowboy 2.0

Reaction score
Finally got my christmas present put on my truck.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I've been looking to go 5'' straight pipe on my CTD but I can't find any local shops in northern houston that can mandrel bend 5'' pipe

That is a Flo-Pro system, the shop in town is owned by my friends dad. He just helped me put it on. It came with a muffler, but who needs those.

Cinco_M_Gert":3km0kdi1 said:
I've been looking to go 5'' straight pipe on my CTD but I can't find any local shops in northern houston that can mandrel bend 5'' pipe

Don't bother with 5" unless you're specifically looking for the sound. During our dyno testing/EGT monitoring, we found the stocker system to be just fine up to 350 HP. The 5 inch system didn't provide _any_ benefit at all until you got over the 500 HP mark, and it actually hurt bottom side power due to slower turbocharger spoolup and poor design of the downpipe.

By the way, don't believe the dyno test claims that exhaust manufacturers make, especially as it relates to the Cummins. Increasing exhaust size on a turbocharged diesel cannot and will not make more horsepower unless the existing exhaust is restrictive, which in the case of the 5.9 Cummins it is not. The 7.3 Stroker definitely gained some benefit from a better downpipe, and after that, it didn't really matter whether you went 4" or 5" as you were far enough away from the turbo to hurt anything.

Rod

Yea, I just like the fact that it is huge and sounds a lot better. A programmer is the next purchase on the list.

There is _nothin_ that sounds like a 5" exhaust :) Its a good Christmas present and I hope I didn't rain on your parade. I just didn't want to see a Cummins guy expecting something he wasn't going to get.

When you jump to the tuners, do yourself a favor and stay with either the Superchips or the plug in Edge EZ. The Superchips has more on top, but the EZ has the nicest bottom side of all the 7.3 products. I never played much with Edge's Evolution tuner, but I believe its comparable to the Superchips. For some reason, the tuners couldn't get the bottom side that you could with that EZ plug in.

Rod

Cowboy 2.0":2q4ccjf4 said:
I was actually looking at getting the Edge Evolution.

I've got the one they make for F-150, and i am very happy and impressed with it...

At first i didnt notice that much difference (some, but not a lot) when i put it in... but i took it off for awhile and immedietaly noticed a huge difference in performance.

Cinco_M_Gert":18daj1tm said:
I wasn't looking for performance gains, just sound and some help on lowering the EGTs

With stock power, you don't need to lower EGTs. Its a common fallacy that the lower your EGTs, the better. Ideally, you want to keep your EGTs between 1100F and 1250F pre-turbo. This is the temperature at which the 5.9 Cummins was designed to run at and it will run for 500,000 miles at those temperatures. Lower EGT below 1100F, and you lose volumetric efficiency.

And an airbox is the first thing you need for EGT reduction anyway. Exhaust has little benefit, including EGT reduction, until you get to 350HP or so. The P7100 12 valves could make slight use of a 4" at 325HP, depending on how you made that power.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":7v3bvrk4 said:
Cinco_M_Gert":7v3bvrk4 said:
I wasn't looking for performance gains, just sound and some help on lowering the EGTs

With stock power, you don't need to lower EGTs. Its a common fallacy that the lower your EGTs, the better. Ideally, you want to keep your EGTs between 1100F and 1250F pre-turbo. This is the temperature at which the 5.9 Cummins was designed to run at and it will run for 500,000 miles at those temperatures. Lower EGT below 1100F, and you lose volumetric efficiency.

And an airbox is the first thing you need for EGT reduction anyway. Exhaust has little benefit, including EGT reduction, until you get to 350HP or so. The P7100 12 valves could make slight use of a 4" at 325HP, depending on how you made that power.

Rod

Thats some good information to know. Since I'll be chipped here in the next month, it won't hurt right? Dodge rates my truck stock at 325HP.

Cinco_M_Gert":2kify0nf said:
Thats some good information to know. Since I'll be chipped here in the next month, it won't hurt right? Dodge rates my truck stock at 325HP.

Ah you have a common rail (2003+). Didn't realize that. The 5" system won't hurt you with power mods, but you're going to be cutting off a pretty nice 4" stainless system. They shipped standard with 4". If your state allows for it, and your truck has it, yank the cat converter off (as long as there are no sensor wires. Unconfirmed rumor has late build 06's with cat sensors). If you want better sound, look up http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com and buy one of their MBRP resonators. Its not _quite_ 5" sound, but doggoned close.

And the airbox becomes even more critical, as the stock airbox wasn't big enough even for stock power. In 03, Dodge had trouble with the air filter restriction sensor pulling down at WOT, so instead of fixing the airbox, they simply put a heavier spring in the indicator.

And on 2003+, you're even more critical to sustain EGTs. These engines were designed to handle sustained 1500F pre-turbo temps, although I never really liked to see temps over 1400F at WOT. Plant an airbox on that critter, throw more fuel at it, and you'll keep EGTs around 1100 - 1300F. See if you can find a used Ram Air III with the UNI foam filter. That was the system we designed and no-one has duplicated it or its results. You can still buy the correct filter, should you ever need to (you shouldn't) and the casing is bullet proof. If I still had one around here, I'd toss it your way for shipping.

And as far as "chips" go, stay with the TST PowerMaxCR. Excellent box with built in EGT monitor, defueling, boost monitor, trans temp (if needed). And full adjustability for bottom side power AND top side power. Well worth the extra bucks you'll have to spend on it. And if you decide you want a 5" system, you'll be able to use a couple more power levels on the TST (depending on whether you have an auto or a stick).

Rod

I've got a Superchips tuner for my F-350 and I've noticed it really screws with the mpg display on the console. Other then that it's great, just don't tune it up to the highest setting and hook up a trailer.

Latest posts