Christmas lights

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
The wife found some Christmas lights left here by the former owners. So today I strung them across the front fence. After dark we decided to drive out to the road to see what they look like from the road. While out we went ahead and drove down into our little community to see what others had. There were four other places with lights. All much better than ours but nothing like a person sees in town. On the way home we declared ours as the best lights on our street. Of course the competition isn't very steep. There are only two other houses, an 80 year old widow and a young couple whose house isn't really visible from the road. The next house up the road is 15 miles. We weren't going to drive up there. So do you do outdoor Christmas decorations?

Yes, and they are the same ones I had last year. In fact, I never took them down after last Christmas nor did we take down the Christmas tree.

No one but us sees them anyway so I'm not sure why we bother...........just because we always have I suppose.

We keep our Christmas lights up year round, no one but the deer and us can see them. My wife and daughter really get into decorating the place for Christmas, they even put a Christmas wreath on the main gate every year. I really enjoy the Christmas cookies and eggnog.

We did until 8 years ago. That's when we put a metal roof on the house and I convinced her there was no way to hang them to metal. I think she's on to me, but now I have her convinced I should not be on a ladder.

slick4591":2vp9uu5r said:
We did until 8 years ago. That's when we put a metal roof on the house and I convinced her there was no way to hang them to metal. I think she's on to me, but now I have her convinced I should not be on a ladder.

There is aluminum siding on this house. So I used the same excuse. I just used bale twine to hang them post to post across the front fence. I just hope that those 40 feet of lights don't distract some driver looking at the grandeur of our display. The locals all say that at least one person a year misses the corner out in front of our place. I would hate to be the cause of an accident.

I saw one on "Hawkeye" Henson's FB page asking people to not put up red or blue Christmas lights. He said he drives around a corner and there is all those lights. He has to toss his whiskey out the widow, buckle his seat belt, shove his gun under the seat, and cause a general panic on his part. I can understand this issue having seen red and blue lights at times in my life.

Haven't had outdoor decorations in a good 10 years and haven't had indoor ones for 5 years. Do not miss them one bit. I do enjoy the cheaper electrical bill though.

slick4591":jrbgjvyg said:

clickme

:lol: :idea:

Since it is just me and the dogs this year....it just does not seem worth the effort...
We are so far off the road that we never did anything outside but Marie used to decorate the inside.
If I do anything it will be to just pull out the little LED tree that Marie always put in the hall...

greybeard":2ilmui5g said:
slick4591":2ilmui5g said:

clickme

:lol: :idea:

Still safe as she would never spend the rental money on one of those. :lol:

"Still safe as she would never spend the rental money on one of those. :lol:"

Yep, for $300/day, I can hire some young buck to climb up and down an extension ladder...

the last few years i've never had the energy. when i was younger and wanted to put them up i didn't have the money.

eehh..

I love Christmas lights and the Christmas season. We don't have a lot of traffic on our road, but the wife and I do enjoy decorating ... if not for ourselves, then for family and friends who will be visiting during the holidays. If you can find the time to do it, I find it to be a stress reliever at the end of a long day ... looking at the lights on the house and in the trees. Makes the walk back from the barn at night that much more enjoyable. :santa:

Dave":x3tzdvje said:
On the way home we declared ours as the best lights on our street.
This is biased...we need photographs so we can see for ourselves please :p

There is an old dead tree in the garden here that gets strung with a couple of lights...not sure if it will light up this year though.

I love Christmas, always have. Ken & I used to string lights on the 6 spruce trees between house & barn - the old great big fat bulbs. The last few years of doing it, we had to use the bucket tractor & used a show stick to put them to the top. Finally, quit doing that and used some of the bulbs to run along the fence, but we had cattle in the lots, so that became a nightmare. Used to have the house outlined with them also.
Several years, just had our Christmas tree. Now, I have a sleigh, buck, doe & fawn & packages lit up in the yard. Purchase something AFTER Christmas to add to the "group". Will be putting up a tree generally week before Christmas til New Year's.

Overkill IMO.

55bf20d3e07fa959354b925c1c413079.jpg

alisonb":cho8omwp said:
Dave":cho8omwp said:
On the way home we declared ours as the best lights on our street.
This is biased...we need photographs so we can see for ourselves please :p

There is an old dead tree in the garden here that gets strung with a couple of lights...not sure if it will light up this year though.

No bias involved. There are only 3 houses on the street (road) the other 2 don't have any decorations at all. My 40 feet of little cheap lights beats nothing at all hands down. I guess I could drive the canyon 15 miles to the west to the next house to check them out but I am considering them to be a different community.

Down in town (well it was a town 100 years ago) there are 4 places with decorations. One wrapped lights around a 12 foot tall pine tree in the yard. Another has a juniper wrapped with lights and a big inflatable snowman. On the other side of the freeway a place strung lights out from a flag pole. At night it looks like a lit up tree, in the daylight it looks like a pole with guide wires. The other place outlined their house in lights. My vote says the one with the inflatable snowman wins.

Latest posts