choosing the right hay ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm going to go off the deep end on this and throw an answer out there.

3% or less than fair for the variety:

Coarse stem. pick up a runner, stalk, whatever and look at it. Mature runner is going to show leaf loss next to the ground. the other end may or may not have a seed head. The longer the runner the longer it has been growing. Color may be green but there is going to be a lot of brown also. Look at the ground. If the ground is brown or very light yellowish green it has been a long time since the last cutting and light has not been getting to the ground.

10% or better for the variety

Finer leaf, small stems. It will have a softer feel. Will not have the leaf loss next to the ground. Looking at the ground, seeing a green color or ever evidence of regrowth suggests that the plant was cut while it was still vigourosly growing.

I have probably missed some more signs but these are probably a pretty good indicator.

And... another thing to look at is the length of the hay. Do you have 12" pieces of grass or do you have 3' pieces of grass???

This may not hold true for all grasses, but if you don't cut coastal bermuda grass when ready, it will stay green on top but will have long stems/stalks hiding under that green. I had this problem a few years ago when we couldn't cut for the rain.

If not cut when it ready, your quality is going to go down a lot.

Grannysoo, I had some last year that did't get cut on time becuase of the weather. When I finally got it cut at 8+ weeks the grass moved in front of the haybine as much as 2 feet. Needless to say it was very coarse. Got wet before I got it baled too. Not much more than gulley plugs. I is the same that I offered to load for $25 in another post. :lol2:

Had some similar left from 2005 and put them in the washouts. In the summer of 06 the cows went in and ate em up. Will do the same with these.

Angus/Barangus

I don't disagree with your post at all and I did say I was going to jump off the deep end.

1982vett":3b46eavl said:
Had some similar left from 2005 and put them in the washouts. In the summer of 06 the cows went in and ate em up. Will do the same with these.

Why is it that cows will eat hay put in a wash out that they won't eat if it in in the hay ring???

Latest posts