Chilled Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugar Creek

Reaction score
Today it is 23 degrees, muddy and snowy, with a west wind gusting near 30 mph. One of the first calf heifers dropped a calf at daybreak. It was chilled and nearly stiff with a cold nose by the time I found it. The girls and I took it in the kitchen and brushed it with a wire dog brush, dried it with a hair dryer. It revived and we gave it a quart of lamb milk replacer, the heifer was to upset to milk in the cold. When it seemed warm and alert we put it in a drafty stall with the heifer who has claimed it very well.

What have I done wrong? I am now going to bed for I worked third shift last night. Thanks

once the calf nurses you will be amazed how alive they become. most of the time you won't have to worry unless the calf is weak. i had one the head was swelled and couldn't nurse for falling down, i milked the heifer and gave it maybe a fourth of the bottle and it jumped up and took off on it's own.

My only question is the "drafty stall". Drafts are about the worst thing you can do to a calf.

dun

dun is right again. I would try to do something about the drafts. A few boards, plywood, even nail up a tarp to cut the drafts.

You did well. Only things I would have done different, found a way to get some colostrum into it quick, either from mom or the powdered kind. And the drafty stall, I would have put something up/over (holes?) to cut down on the draft. Tarp, empty feed sacks, spare/scrap plyboard/lumber,etc. Glad to hear heifer has accepted baby. That's the biggest hurdle. Good luck.

Katherine

I keep an old electric blanket in the barn, use the low setting and wrap the little calf in the banket. This has worked for me a number of times. I have also used a hair dryer and brush. Good luck!

Sugar Creek":26fgn5cn said:
When it seemed warm and alert we put it in a drafty stall with the heifer who has claimed it very well.

Did you mean ventilated?

Sugar Creek":26fgn5cn said:
What have I done wrong? I am now going to bed for I worked third shift last night. Thanks

Great job saving the calf, and helping that new heifer.

I meant drafty despite my effort to block the wind with stacked up square bales of hay. the wind can really blow on these ridge tops above Sugar Creek. The calf stood up and walked around for an hour or so before lying down and appeared to nurse the very proud mother. I hope the cold doesn't undo our efforts.

Thanks for all the replies. I really enjoy reading all your posts.

I meant drafty despite my effort to block the wind with stacked up square bales of hay. the wind can really blow on these ridge tops above Sugar Creek. The calf stood up and walked around for an hour or so before lying down and appeared to nurse the very proud mother. I hope the cold doesn't undo our efforts.

Thanks for all the replies. I really enjoy reading all your posts.

Sugar creek, I can understand about the mud and wet. I had one born yesterday also she had it in the worst place and it stumbled in the mud and I was afraid she would have trouble licking the little muddy feller off, so in the barn he went. I would carry him about 20ft. and then let her come and smell and when she would try to lead him away I would do it again. By the time I got him to the barn he was in pretty good shape but I can't say the same for myself. :)
This morning all is well, I'm glad he is inside because we got about three inches of snow last night. The weather has been so nice for calving lately this was the first problem all season.

Poorboy

poorboy":7891b993 said:
I would carry him about 20ft. and then let her come and smell and when she would try to lead him away I would do it again. By the time I got him to the barn he was in pretty good shape but I can't say the same for myself. :)

I always find it amazing the extent we will go to save a critter. When you think about it, it really takes you back a little. This is our livelyhood and for a lot it is the bread and butter.
Most of us have had calves in our kitchens and in our bath tubs to get them warm. We nearly break our backs to carry an 80 lb squirming baby, with an irritated mamma right behind us, across the field to get it to a safer place. We set up at all hours of the night, in the most horrid weather you can imagine, just to make sure that first calf heifer will be able to do it on her own. We strip the colostrum out of the cow that lost her calf in hopes it will save another. AND, some will even resort to giving a calf mouth to mouth to get it going. All because the recessitator is in the saddle bag and the horse is now several hundred yards away tied to a jigger bush.
Hope everyone's calving season is moving along smoothly(and uneventful). And for those of you in the warm climates who have calving finished already...you really don't know what you are missing!!

certherfbeef, you summed that up very well. One reason I "plan" for my Jersey to calve first is for the colostrum I get from her. Then I know I have it on hand. It is also nice to have a "nurse" cow if needed. Besides I get the extra milk for the house or hogs. It is amazing the lengths we will go to in order to save a calf.

Katherine

Certherbeef, I think you left out the best part the screening process. That is when the teenage farmer has to coverup the slime on the truck seat with a blanket because he only has enough time to clean himself up before picking her up:eek:ops :oops: ;-) Seperates the cream from the rest :heart:

Latest posts