chili recipes

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Here's what we use/cook.

Brown the hamburger and drain the water/oil off and put the meat in the pot. Wipe out the skillet out with a paper towel as you will use it to cook the sausage. I cut the sausage up ¼" wide then cut it in half, cook it and put it in the pot. Wipe out the skillet again. Then I cook the onions, mushrooms, peppers, celery with just enough olive oil to keep them from sticking. Then I dump all that in the pot and add the rest of the stuff. It is even better if you can let it sit in a crock pot over night. Taste it while it is cooking, add ketchup, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper till you get it to suit you. You can add water as needed to get it to the consistency you like too.
1 pound ground beef chuck
1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
1 can chili beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can tomato paste
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1-1/2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (OR JUST USE A WHOLE OF ANY COLOR)
1 cup chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoon bacon bits
½ cup banana peppers
1/4 cup beer (OR WATER)
1 packet of MILD chili mix
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoon white sugar

I don't think I have ever seen a chili recipe with that many ingredients, or heard of "wipe the skillet" in regards to a bowl of red, but Sounds interesting.

1982vett":3vs72wf8 said:
Yeah. A bit much.....bacon bits? .... :?: At least it doesn't have cinnamon ;-)

I need to revise that, I actually cook a 1lb of bacon and crumble it up and put it in plus a little of the grease. I'm not sure this is actually chili but its dang good. The down side is the cost, figure about $30 or so to fix it, but it will feed 4-6 adults with some left over depending on portion size.

The thought crossed my mind to crisp up some bacon rather than use the bits. I don't always abide by a recipe Wife thinks a recipe is etched in stone. :D

I've made it twice and both times I had enough extra for lunch and supper for two days. I was tired of eating it by the time I ran out lol.

Here's one I made from All Recipes: It was EXCELLENT but because of the laundry list of ingredients, I've only made it once.

2 pounds ground beef chuck

1 pound bulk Italian sausage

3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained

1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce

2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

1 large yellow onion, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped

1 tablespoon bacon bits

4 cubes beef bouillon

1/2 cup beer

1/4 cup chili powder

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon dried oregano

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos®

1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

Guys y'all are getting way to fancy with these recipes....both of those have "heartburn and scours" written all over them. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":2sb4ggh1 said:
Guys y'all are getting way to fancy with these recipes....both of those have "heartburn and scours" written all over them. :lol2: :lol2:

It's good going down though :D

Wow, that is some fancy chili! Mine goes something like:

2 lbs of ground beef, deer, bison, your choice of red meat. Start browning/crumbling it and about halfway thru add:
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed/chopped

When the meat is done add:
chili powder - start with a tablespoon and see how she goes. Not "chili seasoning" in the little packets, but real chili powder.
chipotle chili - 2 canned ones, chopped up, or a good shot of the chipotle sauce made by Tabasco.
cumin - 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp, depends on your taste for it.
2, 15 oz cans diced tomatoes (Or, the equivalent of tomato sauce, or tomato paste and some water. Whatever "tomatoey" product you have in the house that floats your boat.)
2 cans kidney beans (or pinto beans or black beans. Whatever you have in the house that floats your boat.)
generous shot of Worcestershire sauce.
1 Tbsp sugar (If you used tomato paste, you don't need the sugar, it's sweeter than the other products already)
salt/black pepper to taste

If you are feeling bodacious, add in a couple teaspoons of cocoa powder. Makes the chili darker and richer.
Also, a shot of liquid smoke seems to enhance the flavor of chili.

Let it simmer for 10 mins, covered, then check seasoning. Add chili powder to taste, and remember it will get a little stronger as it cooks down. Cook for at least 30 minutes at a simmer, stir pretty often because this isn't "soupy" chili, it will scorch on the bottom.