CHIGGERS...

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
I know I've posted about these Godforsaken creatures before, but this year, I seem to be their main item for menu.

It just aint right!!

My wife, (and loving companion, who I hope to spend the rest of my earthly life with), never gets a single bite!! :mad:

She tell's me it's cause I'm just so darn good lookin, and I smell so dadgum good. :shock:

I find that hard to believe, seein as how I could stop a 8 day clock, and after workin all day, I can get pretty odoriferous.

Also, these seed ticks seem to be more plentiful this year. I don't even want to go into the places I been findin them little buggers!!! :shock: :shock:

warpaint":2wh6r2ky said:
....My wife, (and loving companion, who I hope to spend the rest of my earthly life with).....

Soooooo Paint, what did'cha do? And do you really think this trying to butter-up to Ms Paint will work?

Nowland Farms":3hu7aq98 said:
warpaint":3hu7aq98 said:
....My wife, (and loving companion, who I hope to spend the rest of my earthly life with).....

Soooooo Paint, what did'cha do? And do you really think this trying to butter-up to Ms Paint will work?

Well, actually,...............

I din't do nuthin. I just thought I got the fence fixed, where one of our girls had been gettin out for the past couple of weeks. Appears the fencin I was doin, wasn't enough! She was in the front yard the next mornin. Now, I suffer in silence. :shock:

On a rather large sidenote.................

This cow is now 4 sale. Any takers?????????????

Try stuffing some dryer sheets in the tops of your socks or pin them on your pant legs around the bottom. That should help on the chiggers.

As for as the cow - I'd let her jump in the freezer!!

Mr. Paint, i have found that the older i get the more chiggers i get.
Two weeks ago a friend called and said he had cow that just had a calf an the calf was too weak to get up to suck.
I drove my tractor over there and used the hay fork on the fel to place a hay ring over the calf for our protection.
We got in the hay ring the middle of the pasture an got a bottle of colostrum down it.
The chiggers eat me up from head to toe. I was in a hurry an did not take the time to spray with insect repellent.
I think i have bought more Off an Repel this year than any time in the past.

jw":3rd3hcms said:
Try stuffing some dryer sheets in the tops of your socks or pin them on your pant legs around the bottom. That should help on the chiggers.

Thanks, been there done that.

I've been to places during my stint in the military, where we had all kinds of cures for insects. From wearin flea collars on our boots to repellant. These lil bloodsuckers are nasty, and they aint takin prisoners. Went to wallyworld this afternoon and ask the pharmicist for some help. He suggessted a product, and I will let ya'll know the outcome. :help:

warpaint":152hu3he said:
jw":152hu3he said:

Thanks, been there done that.

I've been to places during my stint in the military, where we had all kinds of cures for insects. From wearin flea collars on our boots to repellant. These lil bloodsuckers are nasty, and they aint takin prisoners. Went to wallyworld this afternoon and ask the pharmicist for some help. He suggessted a product, and I will let ya'll know the outcome. :help:

Let us know if it works, right now i think winter is the only thing that will help me.

warpaint":8vi3kpij said:

Also, these seed ticks seem to be more plentiful this year. I don't even want to go into the places I been findin them little buggers!!! :shock: :shock:

Seems like the ticks and chiggers haven't been as bad in S.W. Arkansas since the fire ants moved in a few years ago. They seem to eat most everything else, even hornets and their nests. :shock: I haven't made up my mind yet on whether I'd rather have the ants or the ticks & chiggers.

Did any of you dip your cattle years ago. I can remember back when I was a kid ( early 60's there was a "dipping" vat down by the creek that everyone in our area used. We'd dip water out of the creek to fill it, mix in the "treatment" ( don't remember what it was ) and run the the cattle through it. It was deep enough that the smaller cattle had to stuggle to keep their heads above the water. It really kept the ticks down or seemed to anyway. Back then Dad would let his cows run free in the summer on paper company land ( he had a $1 a year lease on it ) and cut hay off his pasture. Then in the winter we'd fence them up and feed them in the pasture.

;-)

My Father-in-law told me to wear the flea collars on my boots and dangle one from the belt on each hip. I keep telling him I forgot to go buy them but I ain't doing it. 8)

Walt

Nowland Farms":20053yt1 said:
warpaint":20053yt1 said:

I agree this sounds more like a desperate plea, bein' blamed on turkey Mites, Chiggers, Ticks and other pests. :shock: :lol:

Why not":1rplz45h said:
warpaint":1rplz45h said:
I know I've posted about these Godforsaken creatures before, but this year, I seem to be their main item for menu.

It just aint right!!

My wife, (and loving companion, who I hope to spend the rest of my earthly life with), never gets a single bite!! :mad:

She tell's me it's cause I'm just so darn good lookin, and I smell so dadgum good. :shock:

I find that hard to believe, seein as how I could stop a 8 day clock, and after workin all day, I can get pretty odoriferous.

Shave one side set fire to the other side when they run out jab them with an ice pick.

Given the location of some of these critters, :oops: , I think I'll pass on your suggestion!!! ;-)

Paint, I get them too. I've got to where I try to stay out of the areas where they are really bad. Don't go there unless I absolutely have to and then I have just about taken a bath in insect repellent. They don't bother my husband. My mom told me they like me because I am sweet. I said oh, that's a nice thing to say and she said no, I mean you eat so many sweets that you are sweet. Dang it, I thought I got a compliment.

Paint, I buy thos little bottles of chigger rid cream. There's a bottle in each truck, one here at work, one in each bathroom, and a couple stashed in the sock drawer just in case someone makes off with the others.

My wife was moving rocks a few years ago that were pretty heavy for her so she carried them against her body. I had to take her to the emergency room because she had this solid red inflamed "belt' about a foot high starting at her belly button. Since she's only 5 foot you can guess how high it was. Turned out to be chiggers. They had her on all sorts of stuff for the pain and the swelling. It was bad enough that they wanted to admit her overnight. That was not a pretty sight, took a couple of months to finally heal and go away.

I have very little trouble with chiggers and ants and such. I attribute it to the garlic supplements I take every day. May or may not be it, but might be worth a try. Seems it would make you smell less attractive to the beasts.

I think Ph has a lot to do with it. I have noticed that people with a sweet tooth seem to be more popular with bloodsucking insects. On the other hand I know someone that drank the water with a little bit of apple cider vinegar in it, they avoided her. I think if you had set a tick on her it would jump off.

Warpaint, I'll send you some fireants. They'll take care of your chiggers, seed ticks and red bugs. Haven't seen any of those critter here for years but we do have a healthy batch of fire ants.

Thanks you guys for wanting to send us fire ants but we have plenty of them as well. He ain't kiddin' ya'll, he is eat up. He has tried the flea collars, the Off, the Skin So Soft and dryer sheets. But to NNNNNNOOOOOO availe do they work. When he was home, I would treat them each morning and night with Witch Hazel. They were beginning to get the nasty heads on them so I change to alcohol and they began drying up but they still itched. He couldn't walk in dirt with out being attacked. I on the other hand the last 24 hours he was home did find a couple of the big ones we usually see, not those little seed ticks. They are HHHHOOOORRRIIIBBBBLLLLLLEEEEE this year! :stop: :cry: :mad: :x HELP! Soon!

paint you mean them blood sucking chiggers love your old hide.them jokers will eat you alive.now there aint a chigger around that wont touch me.i can wade through the grass brush an weeds.an not have a chigger on me at all.guess they dont like my old blood.an i eat sweets by the trailer load.an they still wont touch me.my dad used to work an a valve plant.an his work boots wear soaked in oil an grease.an when he wore those boots to check cows the chiggers wouldnt touch him.

Latest posts