CHIGGERS...

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates":3od2k9gk said:
Not to start an argument, but the by the time you start itching, the chigger is no longer buried in your skin. He is gone. So, paint yourself with nail polish, drink vinegar, soak in clorox or acetone. But you may still itch. Some people itch longer than others. I will scratch myself bloody and still itch after the bites scab over. The best thing for me is to take benadryl and cover the bites with cortisone creme. I will use the chiggerX too, but the benadryl really helps.

DR. Fourstates,

It just so happens, that I use Benadryl, quite often, as I, unfortunately, am allergic to wasp stings. Nail polish doesn't work. vinegar hasn't worked, the only thing so far, that seems to help is the chiggerrex. (Thanks Boogie)

Still haven't had the gumption to try the pinsol bath. :oops:

If this keeps up, though????

Warpaint,

The only thing that works on chiggers is ABSTINANCE!!! You need to learn how to take life easier, so when the fence is down and you feel like you need to go fix it - just STAY INSIDE. The next time ole Bessie gets out, SO WHAT, just STAY INSIDE. My advise is to take her to the Sale Barn AFTER CHIGGER SEASON.

Pound for pound, the common chigger is without a doubt the baddest critter on earth. They can make a grown man scratch places in front of his mama that would otherwise be just plain embarassing. We always take a big swallow of apple cider vineger before we go out to pick blackberries or check the fence and that kind of thing. It seems to work.Old folks used to tie a rag with coal oil on it around their ankles.

Yep...the old timers "coal oil" soaked rag wrapped around the ankles did work.

In more modern times, I've found that dusting your boots, socks, pant legs, your legs with sulfur powder also works. Fortunately in our location, we've not found any chiggers... knock on wood...

fourstates":2x3fnjcl said:
Not to start an argument, but the by the time you start itching, the chigger is no longer buried in your skin. He is gone. So, paint yourself with nail polish, drink vinegar, soak in clorox or acetone. But you may still itch. Some people itch longer than others. I will scratch myself bloody and still itch after the bites scab over. The best thing for me is to take benadryl and cover the bites with cortisone creme. I will use the chiggerX too, but the benadryl really helps.

You soak in the clorox after you've been "exposed" to the chiggers BUT before you start itching, i.e. after picking blackberries, mending fence in the tall weeds , etc. It kills the majority of the little darlings before they bite you.

My grandmother gets powdered sulpher and mixes it with lotion and then applies the lotion on legs, waist, and arms before going outside for the day. It doesn't smell great but it really does work. Plus, not getting the chiggers is worth the smell.

Why aren;t cows bothered by chiggers? I've never seen any standing aorund scratching their ankles!

dun":gcxsfijq said:
Why aren;t cows bothered by chiggers? I've never seen any standing aorund scratching their ankles!

Dun, That's because they don't wear socks. But they don't get bitten in the band of their undergarments either :shock:

:lol: :lol:

backhoeboogie":ung32q86 said:
dun":ung32q86 said:

Dun, That's because they don't wear socks. But they don't get bitten in the band of their undergarments either :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Aha, I see said the blind man

Latest posts