Chiggers.......

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I guess I have been lucky all these years in weeds, woods, grass, etc. and have never had a chigger problem. The back of our property line joining, the owner got Parkinson really bad and his place was getting in bad shape as Amish recently bought it. I walked the fence line to check the fence and I must have gotten in a nest of chiggers. Around my ankles they have about eaten me up. I have tried nothing yet that will give very much relief as I have about used a tube of Cortisone 10 as it gives a little short term relief, but back to itching. This has been going on for several days, so surely it will run its course soon. With a lot of rain they must be bad this year.

Sounds odd but if you eat bananas they are worse to get on you. But I spray pretty often on shoes, cuffs, legs. I do not care for them.

jltrent said:
I guess I have been lucky all these years in weeds, woods, grass, etc. and have never had a chigger problem. The back of our property line joining, the owner got Parkinson really bad and his place was getting in bad shape as Amish recently bought it. I walked the fence line to check the fence and I must have gotten in a nest of chiggers. Around my ankles they have about eaten me up. I have tried nothing yet that will give very much relief as I have about used a tube of Cortisone 10 as it gives a little short term relief, but back to itching. This has been going on for several days, so surely it will run its course soon. With a lot of rain they must be bad this year.

Get some Standley Germtrol.

If this was your first time you've been extraordinarily lucky. They like to get wherever your clothes is tight, like under socks. They're really a lot of fun if they get up higher (like the waistband and leg openings of your underwear). If I'm going to be somewhere where I suspect there might be some I just spray Off or similar brand on my lower pants legs and that seems to work.

jltrent said:
They know to get tender folks that their skin hasn't seen the sun in years. Bet they don't bother the Amish boys. Hahahaha

jltrent said:

Borrow some fingernail polish from your wife, preferably clear, but any color will work. Paint the bites. Don't be stingy. Apply thick. The polish will suffocate them and ease the itching tremendously. Don't try to peel it off. "Wear" it off. Use with a combination of Benadryl.

Pickle juice will help to repel them in the future. If you drink enough in advance.

You will love this remedy- works for chigger and nos-e-um itches- Boil a pan of water- dip a spoon in said boiled water, blow on said spoon once- then apply to skin. You will find the "burn" sensation is not from pain but from the venom of these little shits leaving your body. Next time you are outside in shorts- steal the wife's Skin So Soft and slather that around your ankles and knees.

I, personally, have never been bitten by a chigger or mosquito.
My friends are beating and scratching mosquitoes and scratching chiggers, I've always wondered what it feels like.
Of course, they just cuss me.

A quick 5-10 minute rinse in the shower with soap will help cool you off and wash the chiggers off BEFORE they can bite you. I would do it every 4-6 hours, but I also was fairly close to home or could get there in less than 5 minutes on the ATV. The 15-20 minutes to do this was worth every second to not scratch till you bleed for days and days and days. Kids get this same treatment.

Brute 23 said:
If you pour some ivermectin on yourself you wont have chiggers or ticks for a year.
You maybe on to something.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I generally wipe my lower legs down with rubbing alcohol if I think I've been in some. That will get them, and also help cool down the itching if that's already started.

jltrent said:

It's been a few days; have they finally gone away?

herofan said:
jltrent said:

It's been a few days, have they finally gone away?
Probably a week of some pretty intense itching, (never got infected) but finally almost gone. Every time I see a thicket I need to go through they are sure on my mind now. Those little guys mean business.

https://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/article.htm

Latest posts