Chiggers

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13":33o6i2jb said:
Kingfisher":33o6i2jb said:
Calomine lotion & a 6 pack...

Wonder which one is best?
:lol2:
Oh it's the Cslomine that works on the itch for me. The beer just helps me not to be scared when I look like Casper the ghost when I'm done with the Calomine lotion. :)

crop/hail":3htu9ep7 said:
Do yall have these miserable little S O B's? Ok if youre not from Texas you may call em "red bugs", we have them bad this year with all the rain in the spring. I was fixing fence yesterday and was wading through tall grass and now im covered in the itchy good for nothing little basturds. What works for yall to get rid of em so im not up all night scratching till I bleed? Ive had em in the past but not this bad.

Reminds me of the story my Big Daddy used to me as a kid. heard a rucus coming from the grass and when he bent down and pulled the grass back he saw the wildest rodeo he ever had seen. A red bug had done put a saddle on a seed tick and was tring to break him. :lol: :lol: :lol: always was funny the way he would tell it.

tazzer":1p31o237 said:
crop/hail":1p31o237 said:
Do yall have these miserable little S O B's? Ok if youre not from Texas you may call em "red bugs", we have them bad this year with all the rain in the spring. I was fixing fence yesterday and was wading through tall grass and now im covered in the itchy good for nothing little basturds. What works for yall to get rid of em so im not up all night scratching till I bleed? Ive had em in the past but not this bad.

Reminds me of the story my Big Daddy used to me as a kid. heard a rucus coming from the grass and when he bent down and pulled the grass back he saw the wildest rodeo he ever had seen. A red bug had done put a saddle on a seed tick and was tring to break him. :lol: :lol: :lol: always was funny the way he would tell it.

Do other folks still have seed ticks? They were a problem here when I was a boy, but I don't remember getting into any, or hearing about them, for probably 40 years. I've always assumed that the fire ants displaced them, but that's only a guess.

pdfangus":1vrlb8og said:
your theory may have some validation...

Fire ants have not it made it this far north yet....but lord do we have the ticks....

I had ticks BAD east of Tulsa
Now in SW Oklahoma I don't have ticks but I have fire ants.. I'm trying to raise them :D
But the chiggers got the other day
What invasive species kills them ?

Cross-7":38y1ngxx said:
pdfangus":38y1ngxx said:
your theory may have some validation...

Fire ants have not it made it this far north yet....but lord do we have the ticks....

I had ticks BAD east of Tulsa
Now in SW Oklahoma I don't have ticks but I have fire ants.. I'm trying to raise them :D
But the chiggers got the other day
What invasive species kills them ?

If you find something that eats red bugs please send me some.

guineas help with both chiggers and ticks but I can not keep the guineas alive.....every predator in the state has a taste for guinea.....came out one night to see a big old owl setting on a fence post eating guinea that he had plucked off the roost

I inadvertently sat on a fire ant mount when we lived in TX. Wearing short, baggy running shorts. 'Nuff said =(.

Since ticks were brought up I would like to remind everyone to please, please be diligent about spraying with Deet & remove any ticks as soon as possible. I'm sure everyone is familiar with Lyme & Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever but another tick-borne disease is known as STARI or Southern Tick Associated Rash Illness. I'm intimately familiar with this disease because I had it two years ago and now have to start a 2 week regimen of Doxycycline every time I get bit by a Lone Star Tick. My symptoms were not exactly as outlined in the attached CDC link and my symptoms didn't appear until 6 weeks after my bite (as opposed to 6 days) but I thought my head was going to explode & it was the first time in 20 years my husband had ever seen me cry in pain; Doxy plus Vicodin & Tylenol 800 is the only combo that worked.

http://www.cdc.gov/stari/disease/

I always spray my britches legs and boots with off. When I do get a few on me I've found that a shower as hot as you can stand it and plenty of soap will usually get rid of them and relieve the itch.

working fields yesterday....
walked 6.23 miles mostly around corn fields with about two thirds walking between the corn and the forest edge often thru the weeds.
sprayed good with 40% deet spray. had dryer sheet out the back of my hat and tucked in my belt.
got home and had one tick on my collar bone and a tiny little one on the calf of my leg....but the may flies and horse flies left me alone.

i guess im lucky as chiggers hate me and my blood.they really dont bother me and i walk in thick heavy grass.no i dont put anything on to deture them.

Don't eat bananas and the mosquitos and, for me, the chiggers will be minimal. Tried it both ways - big difference. Like it this way the best!

Latest posts