chickens.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":2g0ptd02 said:
i'm going to pick up a few in the next couple of days. a few being at least 2 pullets and one cockerel or as many as 10 total depending on how many they want to get rid of. the rooster and hen look like your ordinary brown leghorn but the babies look like they are going to be mottled leghorns.. or maybe some exchequers. i havent had any chickens since i was little and those used to chase me when i would go out to play... they died of mysterious causes during peanut spraying season.

my favorite chickens, and this is based on appearance only since i know NOTHING about chickens, are barred rocks.

Barred where my fav. too, they are pretty and like petting.

Cow_Town":1pp88qw7 said:
Beefy":1pp88qw7 said:
i'm going to pick up a few in the next couple of days. a few being at least 2 pullets and one cockerel or as many as 10 total depending on how many they want to get rid of. the rooster and hen look like your ordinary brown leghorn but the babies look like they are going to be mottled leghorns.. or maybe some exchequers. i havent had any chickens since i was little and those used to chase me when i would go out to play... they died of mysterious causes during peanut spraying season.

my favorite chickens, and this is based on appearance only since i know NOTHING about chickens, are barred rocks.

I've never in my life petted a chicken...

Alice

you guys are sick in the head. all them dang things did was cause trouble. maybe we just had a bad hatch but if my dad wasnt there all of those dumb things would have had there heads blown off. there about the one animal thats dumber then a cow.

mdmdogs3":16zj5br0 said:
Auburn_Ag":16zj5br0 said:
We have 114,000 Broilers. 5 houses :shock:
we have 8 houses - 160,000 broilers :arrow: :drink: :drink:

Bless your Heart! It took you 8 times to learn your lesson?? LOL :lol: Are you with Tyson? And are you a 6 week or 8 week grower?

Alice":3r1js8kz said:
Cow_Town":3r1js8kz said:
Beefy":3r1js8kz said:

Alice

I have one hen that i have had for about 7 years and she's like a dog. Just walks up and wants a scratch. I had her out of the pens, but she kept roosting on the porch, and I really hate chicken poop. I have one that runs out to greet me. I had some really mean roosters that could spur you so bad that it left marks, even though your jeans. They disposed of each other, though.

Alice":qqf09513 said:

Alice

Oh Alice, you're kidding me!

Bantybabies.jpg

Ok, Gale...you knew that's all it would take... :heart:

Alice

Auburn_Ag":gq1jm1j0 said:
mdmdogs3":gq1jm1j0 said:
Auburn_Ag":gq1jm1j0 said:
We have 114,000 Broilers. 5 houses :shock:
we have 8 houses - 160,000 broilers :arrow: :drink: :drink:

Bless your Heart! It took you 8 times to learn your lesson?? LOL :lol: Are you with Tyson? And are you a 6 week or 8 week grower?

we always laugh about building 8 more (not gonna happen!!!!!!!!!!)
with a small local company and ours are usually 6 to 7 weeks...
(this last bunch they should've kept - sorry bunch of junk!!!! :mad: )

I have 1 rooster that appered after the 2 red ones disappered
He's white,with gold wing bars and saddle feathers..Sure pretty,not a clue where he came from,or where the other 2 went..

Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, Americana, Barred Rocks

...and the white silkie rooster and little bantam rooster :roll:

i got my chickens today. theres 4 of them. i think i have 2 hens and 2 roos. they are currently in the magnolia tree. been there all morning.
117.gif

beefy, now surely you've made a nice little chicken house for them, right? With food and water and crushed oyster shells and stuff like that, and a nesting box for eggs? Hope they don't run away on you (haven't learned where "home" is yet). You may be okay with two roosters, but I found out the hard way that too many roosters means fewer eggs...hens go on strike! We want pictures!

If you really want to give 'em a treat, boil some spaghetti for them, sauce not needed, and they'll have a blast.

thats a great idea and sounds very entertaining. Well, i got tired of waiting on the chickens to come down and explore on their on accord so i got the water hose out and sprayed it in the tree. was that bad? :oops: anyway, i got them out and they have been eating ever since. i tried to scare them some to make them fly back into the tree so they know that they can get away like that if they need to but they wouldnt fly they just ran around. so far my favorite is Pearl, only because i SAW her eat a mosquito!!!woo! go Pearl! Minnie is the lookout hen. *ahem* pullet.

how old do they have to be to start laying eggs?

Laying eggs should start about 4-5 months old, I think. The first eggs are on the small side. The question is: WHERE are they going to lay them? Without a nesting box, you'll have an Easter Egg Hunt everyday of the week and trouble determining if it's a "new" egg or one that you missed last week (but you're young, so maybe not).

but how can she expect to hatch them if she doenst lay them all together? Along those same lines, how long do they keep-- if they dont lay them all in a nest and i have to collect eggs can i just leave them sitting out at room temperature in a basket or something and for how long. should i put all my eggs in one basket? can i mark them with a sharpie in the order that she lays them? will she tolerate me messing with her eggs or abandon the nest like some birds supposedly do? there mom made her own nest and laid all her eggs together and hatched 13 this last time. maybe they'll take after her. Minnie and Pearl are both good flyers. Pearl is the smartest of the chickens, i can tell. Conway was the second one into the tree today when i let the cats out. the other roo, is stupid. his dumb self ran all the way around the house instead of flying up into the tree that he was right under. and then when he finally did fly he was very clumsy. All the cats got a good spray with the water hose when they started to stalk the chickens, except for Miss Cleo. its like she knew what i was going to do or something so she played with a skink instead.

Beefy":1on8jwnc said:
but how can she expect to hatch them if she doenst lay them all together? Along those same lines, how long do they keep-- if they dont lay them all in a nest and i have to collect eggs can i just leave them sitting out at room temperature in a basket or something and for how long. should i put all my eggs in one basket? can i mark them with a sharpie in the order that she lays them? will she tolerate me messing with her eggs or abandon the nest like some birds supposedly do? there mom made her own nest and laid all her eggs together and hatched 13 this last time. maybe they'll take after her.

I'll ask my dad. But the yes/no question are gona be yes. The time frame on the eggs is gona be hard but you got to rotate them daily at ambient temp. He put his eggs on a towel. ... spaced apart.

Beefy,

Dont let all of thoes questions worry you. 8) With the chickens roosting up in thoes trees the coons will take care of your problems before you need the answers to any of thoes questions. :lol:

I had a bunch of rode island reds one time. I spent alot of time/money building a nice little coop with a good chicken wire fence with sheet iorn burried arround the bottom of the fence where nothing could dig under it and get to them. And a big Oak tree on one side of the coop for shade and a pecan tree on the other side.

I even went to a chicken swap one weekend and bought some banty hens & a couple of little banty roosters. And while walking by the coop a couple days latter. I noticed most of my bantys were gone. :shock: I got to looking arround for them and finally found two legs that was left of one of the banty roosters. Then the next morning 6 or my rode island red hens were gone. No sign what so ever of them.

A old man at the coffee shop told me it had to be coons. So the next night i pulled up to shine my truck lights on the pen and sure nuff there were 3 coons in the pen and up the oak tree they went. Well i got one of them with the shot gun that night.

The next night i caught one in a steel trap and shot another one out of the oak tree. About a month passed then the coons hit me again and wiped everything out except for one old rode island red rooster. :)

I just let him run loose and he has survived for over a year now. :lol:

Latest posts