chickens.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
who on here has chickens?
what kind?
117.gif

cattleluvr18":33kwmlwi said:
screw chickens. and turkeys. i will never have them again.

:eek:

I have raised chickens since I was really young, from fryers to fighting chickens to Cochins to ducks and meat turkeys. Had to let it all go when went to college but as soon as I graduate (8 days) I will head home and order up an array of day olds 8)

Delewares, Rhode Isalnd Red, Barred Rocks and Golden Buff.
All are still growing and will move out of the garage as soon as I finish the chicken house. DMc

Barred Rocks, White legs, Buff Orphs, Rhode Island Reds, Bantoms, Arauracana, and I cant forget about the Guineas... my favorite ugly "critter gitters"....

Our daughter got chickens for her birthday last year - only 5 left now out of 13 - a leghorn, two black ones, and two dominickers. So I decided to order 15 more chicks from the hatchery (expecting about half to die). Silver Laced Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahmas, Salmon Faverolles, and Ameraucanas. Two weeks before their arrival Granny calls and says she has two Easter chicks for the girls. I told her we were expecting 15 more soon, but okay, we can handle two more. She stopped by the feed store on the way here to pick up some feed and they were having a sale on their chicks (my mom can't resist a good bargain - even if she doesn't need it). So she shows up with seven chicks instead of two. I'm still not sure what kind they are - some white ones, some brownish ones, and one Banty. We were also incubating duck eggs at the time, but luckily there was a problem with the thermometer and none of them hatched.

Tod's Wife.

i have dark an light brimmers production reds EEs black sexlinks leghorns you name it.as well as blue slate turkeys.

Several types of fighters, Aseels, Shamos, Cubalayas, Dominiques, assorted Cochins (large and bantam), Easter eggers, true Araucanas (tufted and rumpless), White Crested Black Polish, Turkens, Frizzles, Brahmas, I'm sure I've left some out. Muscovy ducks in every color you can think of, Indian Runners, Pekins, Khaki Campbells, Crested ducks, African, White Chinese and Roman Tufted geese, guineas.

Black Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, Americana and mixed breed.

Other than the chickens tearing up the yard (which we will remedy when we move) I really like them. They are interesting to watch. Once you start eating farm eggs you won't want to eat those nasty pale store bought eggs. Yuk!

Beefy":202hf0ui said:
who on here has chickens?
what kind?
117.gif

Barred Rocks, Black Austroplorps and white Silkies. Plus lots of game chickens that came with the place when Steve bought it. They roost in the trees at night and come down to the barnyard to get scratch.

cattleluvr18":1ijrx4p6 said:
screw chickens. and turkeys. i will never have them again.

I get a lot of pleasure out of my little flocks. I love the fresh eggs and they can be very entertaining. Get half lit and watch the chickens run around! I met my husband over chickens. I said that I had a flock and he said that the last book he read was Story's Guide To Raising Chickens. We combined our flocks and the rest was history. :heart:

We've got 70-80 in the hen house and another 30 in the incubator due to hatch on Tuesday. A large mixture (in the hen house)....RIR's, New Hampshire Reds, Rocks, Orpingtons, Sex Links, Leghorns, Brahmas, Easter Eggers, Austroplorps and Wyandottes.

None now. Fixing to get some Rhode Island Reds, probably. I have had Cherry Eggers, Barred Rocks, Sebrights, Japanese, Cornish, and Old English Game bantams and American Game bantams.

i'm going to pick up a few in the next couple of days. a few being at least 2 pullets and one cockerel or as many as 10 total depending on how many they want to get rid of. the rooster and hen look like your ordinary brown leghorn but the babies look like they are going to be mottled leghorns.. or maybe some exchequers. i havent had any chickens since i was little and those used to chase me when i would go out to play... they died of mysterious causes during peanut spraying season.

my favorite chickens, and this is based on appearance only since i know NOTHING about chickens, are barred rocks.