chicken predators

Help Support CattleToday:

D2Cat":1w2s79dv said:
If you catch a skunk in a live trap you can simply cover the trap with an old sheet (holding it in front of you as you approach the trap). Pick up the trap and do as you please.

Watch the skunk's front feet as you approach. They'll stomp them as a warning before they spray.

D2Cat":2czuvwxd said:
If you catch a skunk in a live trap you can simply cover the trap with an old sheet (holding it in front of you as you approach the trap). Pick up the trap and do as you please.
The tricky part is to get the door open without them seeing your hands right there besides them. On the cage traps I have, I have to leave one end of the trap uncovered in order to open the door, which takes both hands. Then you have to hold the door open while the thing walks out with his tail in your face. :D I managed to prop mine open with a bamboo stick and he walked off without issue, but it was a bit worrisome for a minute.

M.Magis":9toth4tv said:
D2Cat":9toth4tv said:
The tricky part is to get the door open without them seeing your hands right there besides them. On the cage traps I have, I have to leave one end of the trap uncovered in order to open the door, which takes both hands. Then you have to hold the door open while the thing walks out with his tail in your face. :D I managed to prop mine open with a bamboo stick and he walked off without issue, but it was a bit worrisome for a minute.
I just shoot them in the head with a .410 then dump them out. Always leave the trap laying around outside downwind for a couple of days afterwards.

My last one was right between some houses, and I was on my lunch break. If he'd have sprayed I would have been a very unpopular guy for a while.

On the live trap I usually catch skunks in, I leave the sheet over the entire trap. When I go to release it I have to push a piece inwards for the door to come up. Once the door up/open I pull the sheet up just so the opening is clear and insert a screwdriver into the side wire to hold the door. All this time the only uncover area is the escape route. Step back and let him out.

We've found headless chickens before -- in the run, not in the coop. We've shot racoons and trapped skunks. But pretty sure our headless wonders were either attributable to big owls, eagles or hawks.

Kathie in Thorp":gelch6x8 said:
We've found headless chickens before -- in the run, not in the coop. We've shot racoons and trapped skunks. But pretty sure our headless wonders were either attributable to big owls, eagles or hawks.

A tall post with a steel trap on the top will catch most owls. An owl will alight on the top while waiting for the chickens to come of of the roast.

hurleyjd":1so8w4uc said:
Kathie in Thorp":1so8w4uc said:

A tall post with a steel trap on the top will catch most owls. An owl will alight on the top while waiting for the chickens to come of of the roast.
Yeah, that's only a Federal offense for any hawks or eagles. Our owls are normally night-timers only, and our hens are locked inside at night.

Poultry and other livestock are vulnerable to a wide range of predators. Frequent sightings of hawks and owls near the depredation site may be a clue to the predator involved, but these sightings could be misleading. When a partially eaten carcass is found, it is often difficult to determine the cause of death. In all cases, the remains must be carefully examined. Raptors usually kill only one bird per day. Raptor kills usually have bloody puncture wounds in the back and breast from the bird's talons. Owls often remove and eat the head and sometimes the neck of their prey. In contrast, mammalian predators such as skunks or raccoons often kill several animals during a night. They will usually tear skin and muscle tissue from the carcass and cut through the feathers of birds with their sharp teeth.

Legal Status

All hawks and owls are federally protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (16 USC, 703-711). These laws strictly prohibit the capture, killing, or possession of hawks or owls without special permit.
No permits are required to scare depredating migratory birds except for endangered or threatened species (see Table 1), including bald and golden eagles.

In addition, most states have regulations regarding hawks and owls. Some species may be common in one state but may be on a state endangered species list in another. Consult your local USDA-APHIS-Wildlife Services, US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), and/or state wildlife department representatives for permit requirements and information.
There is an interesting 'shocker' device to scare winged predators (owls) away at the link too. You can trap them with a spring trap that is well padded and you are supposed to transport them alive away from your property--you need a special permit to do this--from USF&WS.
Info on the traps and permits:
http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/HawksOwls.asp

If you think you are going to trap a skunk, simply put a tarp over the trap just leaving the door open. Tie some rope to the tarp so you can pull the tarp entirely over the trap from a distance. Once the tarp covers the trap just take a hose from a vehicle exhaust pipe and stick it under the tarp. Leave the engine running for a while to gas the skunk. It will be dead with no spray.

Last one I shot was in the garden eating corn--it was his last meal ever and he didn't have time to stink when the SKS barked.

The Mrs has had chickens turned into turds by ever critter known and caused many a varmint
to meet a Model 12 16 gauge.

Heads off usually are weasel family in my experience.
Barred Owls will as well if they can't fly off with the prey seen them
do it with ducks. They catch them on the pond and carry them to the top of a stump
by the pond.
Everything leaves a track cept owls and raptors.
Flower around the chicken coop can sure narrow down the search and method
needed to remedy the problem.

Latest posts