Chicken plucker

Help Support CattleToday:

With the Cornish/rock crosses, you'll need to be ready to butcher when the time comes. Once they hit 6-7 weeks old, it's time. Any longer and they can stop dropping dead from heart attacks. I've also heard of their legs breaking, but never had that happen.

M.Magis":35h9nlu8 said:
With the Cornish/rock crosses, you'll need to be ready to butcher when the time comes. Once they hit 6-7 weeks old, it's time. Any longer and they can stop dropping dead from heart attacks. I've also heard of their legs breaking, but never had that happen.
Hi mag feed stops the leg issues. It stems from their rapid growth.

dun":1vu680pb said:
Don;t know about the jumbo part unless it's just sales hype. Cornish/white rock crosses have been the standard of the industry for years.
Staright cornish are really meaty but don;t grow nearly as well or fast as the crosses.

Gotcha

M.Magis":1vu680pb said:

Wow I would have never known that. That's crazy stuff right there.

dun":1vu680pb said:
M.Magis":1vu680pb said:
Hi mag feed stops the leg issues. It stems from their rapid growth.

That's good to know.

M.Magis":17wo4vti said:
Not sure, I built it for a batch last summer but haven't made plans for another batch yet. I'm thinking I'll do a batch this fall, but I need to figure out another place to raise them. And to be honest, it wasn't cheap. After food and the chicks, I had $9/bird in them. That's expensive chicken.
You said it, that's expensive chicken. I bought a whole bird today for 88 cents a pound. It was a few cents over $3. That's down from what I've been paying the past few months which was in the $5-$6/bird ballpark. I'm smoking some ribs tomorrow and like to put a whole chicken in there too when I smoke ribs.