chicken litter

Help Support CattleToday:

DRB

Reaction score
does anyone know where i can get chicken litter in southern mississippi...Amite County?..i've herad after the first of the year it will no longer be legal for pasture application???

DRB":35dwu8tr said:
does anyone know where i can get chicken litter in southern mississippi...Amite County?..i've herad after the first of the year it will no longer be legal for pasture application???

DRB,,,,I sure hope there is no truth to this. The cost of commercial fert is so high now.

Please say that isn't true. If it is, things are getting out of hand! If it is, I'm gonna look into raising tofus. By the way, how do you raise a tofu? And what do they look like?

Jogeephus":85efgzjv said:
Please say that isn't true. If it is, things are getting out of hand! If it is, I'm gonna look into raising tofus. By the way, how do you raise a tofu? And what do they look like?

I think they are raised similar to Naugys. That was where we got the naughhide in years past. I think vinyl is the thing now. :lol: :lol:

If you crossed a Tofu with a Nauga it would still taste the same

dun

DRB":zoml07wb said:
dont know if it will be illegal or not, think there will be restrictions and some paper work involved

ALACOWMAN":zs3bw5lk said:
DRB":zs3bw5lk said:
dont know if it will be illegal or not, think there will be restrictions and some paper work involved

I sure hope it won't be illegal. Cost of fertilizer is getting out of hand and litter is pretty good stuff.

You may have to provide soil samples to make sure the phosphorus doesn't cause problems.

amanda is home for the holidays from college. she went to see her boyfriend whos also home from college, he lives about 2 hrs away wv/va state line. they have a commercial turkey farm, she borrowed our truck to go see adam, i told her to have adams dad give her a couple scoops of littler before she comes home.. :) couldnt get her talked in to it.. :roll: i sure could use it on that barron field.. looking in to finding some one to haul a large load.. im sure the haul bill would be scarry. rose

DRB":rcsiktsk said:

In Alabama currently there is no such ban. They say that you are not to spread it through the months of November to the end of February, but some people still do. Also if you didn't know the ban of feeding chicken litter was lifted last year, however it was not published to the public. Matter fact I cleaned out chicken houses this past weekend.

DRB":1jmkn8xf said:
That seems just crazy. You will no longer be able to apply it to your pastures but a feller in Virginia can still feed it to his cattle. Crazy I say just crazy.

Around here the big outfits like Tyson and Cal-Maine have trucks and crews that go around and clean the houses at the various locations and if you have your name on the list they come out and spread it on your place free.Z

The local fertilizer dealer runs down chicken litter, saying that custom hay balers won't bale hay fields fertilized with it.

I've talked to farmers who put it on their own fields and bale their own hay and they like it.

I'm thinking about using it on my hay fields. Does it create more dust and chaff when the field is baled?

gabby":3p1rgbxq said:
The local fertilizer dealer runs down chicken litter, saying that custom hay balers won't bale hay fields fertilized with it.

I've talked to farmers who put it on their own fields and bale their own hay and they like it.

I'm thinking about using it on my hay fields. Does it create more dust and chaff when the field is baled?
It can depending about how little rain you have had after application. Another reason it gets dusty depends upon how much and what kind of sawdust or wood chips are used. But believe me sometimes it can be very very dirty. I'm thankful and my employees are thankful that we round bale with tractors with cabs.

gabby":2rqec7y4 said:

Commercial dealers will run it down because its taking money out of there pocket. They tell you that it causes a weed problem. If you are spraying with Grazon anyway it doesn't matter anyway.

As far as the chicken litter, if you have a choice you want Broiler litter in stead of Hen litter. Try to spread it just like you would any commercial fertilizer, before a soaking rain.
As far as the dust the rain will take care of that and it will soak it in to the ground

Do NOT spread chicken litter and two weeks later ( or a short amount of time) come behind add a little bit of commercial fertilizer for a extra little kick. All you are shooting yourself in the foot. Commercial fertilizers kill all the microorganisms that break down chicken litter.

Can you help me get some and have it spred just east of Tallassee, Alabama. I can't find any. I need enough to put on 60 acres of hay ground and 20 acres or over seeded rye grass now. Then in the early summer I would like re-do the hay ground and also do another 40 acre pasture.
Lets see that is 80 acres now and 100 acres in the summer. And at two tons to the acre that is 160 tons right now. and 200 tons this summer.

alabama":1ya2xr1i said:
Can you help me get some and have it spred just east of Tallassee, Alabama. I can't find any. I need enough to put on 60 acres of hay ground and 20 acres or over seeded rye grass now. Then in the early summer I would like re-do the hay ground and also do another 40 acre pasture.
Lets see that is 80 acres now and 100 acres in the summer. And at two tons to the acre that is 160 tons right now. and 200 tons this summer.

John, what would this fert cost you if you were using commercial.

The cost of chicken liter is about $18-20 per ton delivered and spread in this area (LA) lower Alabama The biggest cost is the delivery and spreading, the average per ton cost of litter is $5 if you haul it.

I only put 1 ton per acre, but I have it spread 2 times per year.

We turkey farm for Butterball and have no such ban. I have some friends in northern arkansas that grow turkeys for Cargill and they have heard of no such ban either. It was rumored for a while, basically they didn't want bird flu being spread all over the country through litter spreading, Here Litter is $50 per load.

I grow 8 houses of boilers and run about 300 comercial cows in central MS. If it wasn't for the chicken litter I would be out of the cow business quick.

It is excellant fertilize but slower acting than commercial fertilize. Thats why some people put it out one time and say its no good. It's also better spread right from the house. If it is stockpiled for any length of time much of the nitrogen will be lost, but the P and K will still be there.

As for the ban on spreading there has been some talk since BSE but nothing has been done and probably want be for the simple reason there aren't many other options to make use of all the litter produced.

All of the larger poultry farms here in MS fall under the CAFO rules and have to have nutrient management plans in place to show where all their litter is going. This prevents us from overapplying and getting into runoff problems.

Johnny

gabby":16ea0slf said:

Like it too. No extra dust. One bad thind is smell. It smells like what it is until it rains and its amazing how much people and birds have in common - if you know what I mean. Once it rains, everthing is OK.

Due to buildup of excessive other nutrients in the field, I will only use it once a year - mostly to get the basics.

Latest posts