chicken litter

Help Support CattleToday:

I've done alot of reading on useing chicken litter. I desided to try in. Talked to the egg man that came into where I have coffee every morn. He said hell no we don,t give that stuff away its like liquid gold. He then invited me to come out and see how they used it.
When I got there I was blown away, everything was totally automated. 3 men opperateing about a dozen houses, hundreds of thousands of chickens. Below the rows of cages there was a big bar extending from one side to other. The bar moved back and forth while pulling the litter into a large vat at the end. It was mixed with water, maybe it was like a hugh septic tank. The slurry was then pumped into an irragation system and added to the water. It could be sent to one of many pastures. The man told they make about as much on the hay as the eggs. Caint get nothin free no more.

This place was a layer operation years. hat they did here was they "flushed" the houses every couple of weeks into a pit and pumped out of the pit into a honey wagon and sprayed that on these pastures and everyone elses around close. They say this was a show place back then (30 years ago). Maybe we can make it that way again.

BTW... How long do you figure a pit full of chicken litter would still have any value in it?Z

Latest posts