Chicken Litter Question

Help Support CattleToday:

The final ruling does ban the SRMs but allows meat & bone meal in non-ruminant animal feed - Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 81 / Friday, April 25, 2008 / Rules and Regulations 22725:

Consultation concluded that digestive
contents and fecal material from
livestock or poultry being fed meat and
bone meal (MBM) potentially
contaminated with BSE should not be
used as an ingredient in animal feed.
(Response) In the preamble to the
October 2005 proposed rule, FDA
provided calculations submitted in
comments to the advance notice of
proposed rulemaking (ANPRM) that
published in the Federal Register on
July 14, 2004 (69 FR 42288), showing
that a cow would need to consume a
very large volume of poultry litter to
ingest an infectious dose of BSE,
assuming that the poultry feed spilled
into the litter was formulated with MBM
derived from a BSE-infected cow. Based
on this analysis, FDA believes that the
risk of cattle exposure to an infectious
dose of BSE through poultry litter is
low. The measures contained in this
final regulation should reduce that risk
even further because removing CMPAF
from all animal feed prevents BSE
infectivity from reaching poultry in the
first place.

I wish I could get a few truck loads of chook manure. It would be on the paddock no matter where my cows were . Mine seem sensible enough to trust to eat only whats good for them and they seem to be pretty choosey and Ive not known them to get it wrong in 40 years..

Farminlund":39s7bb3b said:
In conclusion, there is no use of ruminant protein in any animal feed; thus litter possesses no risk to pass on BSE to cattle. Why do I know this info - have feed chicken litter to cattle for over 10 yrs & continue to do so - go at it, been here before!
So have you made up your mind yet is there ruminant meat and bone meal in animal feed or not? Here you tell us you have info showing no use of ruminant protien in any animal feed then you cut and paste from the Federal Register showing they have made a final ruling that bans certain types of ruminant protiens from all animal feeds effective April 27 2009 almost a full year from now. Even on April 27 2009 people will still be allowed to feed ruminant protien to ruminants indirecty thru poultry litter. How smart is that why do we even have a ban at all. As I write this there is no ban of any kind in effect on what type of ruminant protiens can be included in other animal feeds.

TexasBred":1phhzxyq said:
Animal protein of just about any kind is too expensive for poultry feed or any other animal feeds right now. A few companies may be using a little feather meal but even that is very expensive. Tyson and others make much more money selling it than feeding it.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ms_gr215.txt

$305 for 50% protein ruminant meat and bone meal.
$322 for 46.5% protein soy meal. I wonder what these hog and poultry guys are using in a ration for the protein source.

somn":3q0dqdc0 said:
TexasBred":3q0dqdc0 said:
Animal protein of just about any kind is too expensive for poultry feed or any other animal feeds right now. A few companies may be using a little feather meal but even that is very expensive. Tyson and others make much more money selling it than feeding it.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ms_gr215.txt

$305 for 50% protein ruminant meat and bone meal.
$322 for 46.5% protein soy meal. I wonder what these hog and poultry guys are using in a ration for the protein source.

Feather Meal :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish those hog and poultry feeders luck trying to find enough pounds of feather meal to use in the rations. Probably why it isn't used at all here. Are you telling me that the only source of protein being used by poultry and hog feeders in the south and east is feather meal?

somn":1vbvdk64 said:
I wish those hog and poultry feeders luck trying to find enough pounds of feather meal to use in the rations. Probably why it isn't used at all here. Are you telling me that the only source of protein being used by poultry and hog feeders in the south and east is feather meal?

Somn..in all honesty I have no idea as I have very little contact with either hog or poultry farmers. The poultry folks would definitley have access to the feather meal as it's a by-product of their processing. Whether or not they use it I really don't know. Haven't priced ruminant meat and bone meal in years but looked it up on DTN and all I found was $280 FOB Missouri. That would probalby make it close to $350 or so by the time it got to this part of the world.

Latest posts