chicken liter verse's commercial fertlizer.

Help Support CattleToday:

litter does not contain weed seed nor does it cause weeds it makes what ever its applied to grow,if your getting weeds after putting out litter its means you have not been keeping the ground fertilized properly in the past or arent doing a good job of keeping a good grass cover and the weeds are already there just stunted waiting on fertizer from some source,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also stepper,, as far as stacked litter it will lose some value but very little if spread within a mounth or so as long as its deep stacked and doesnt get wet use it ,,,

salemhigh,

You are % 100 right. As long as i can get it. I will always use it over commerical fertlizer. I am amazed at how many farmers think that weed's come from the chicken litter. The weed's or seed's to them are already there before the litter is put out. The litter like any fertlizer just make's them grow. And as far as rocks go. Well that depend's on where the litter was piled at and the person loading it onto the spreader truck. I had three pastures littered this Spring and found three small rocks maybe the size of a baseball out of all the litter i had put out. And they probably came from where i took some terraces out last fall.

I myself have a very small operation if you even want to call it a operation. But i watch and learn form these big farmer's arround here. And they all use chicken/turkey litter. I mean rancher's who run 3 and 4 thousand acre ranches. As a matter of fact. It is hard to find chicken litter that is not all bought up by these guys now that there are getting to be less people growing chicken's and turkey's here.

I think that most people who down's the use of it probably just has not had much experience with it. And if they ever did would probably use it themself's if they could get it.

Latest posts