PTO driven Adams fertlizer buggy

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I bought a used PTO driven fertilizer buggy. Bought it yesterday off of a man that bought it at an auction. He couldn't tell me much about the operation of it since he never used it his self.

I have always used the buggies from the feed store. They were ground driven. The one i bought appears to be ground driven on the conveyor and the paddles are PTO driven. I have never used one like it before.

Anyone ever used a buggy like this ?

I have one similar except the conveyor has been converted to hydraulic drive which is good as it is easy to stop and start the feed of the fertiliser when not required. The disadvantage is the way to vary the rate is by opening/ closing the opening and increasing ground speed which seems to work fine for me. Have you tried Googling for a manual? My buggy is very old yet I was still able to find a free manual for it online. I suppose the fact that the manufacturer is still one of the top manufactures of spreaders on Australia helps.
If interested PM me your email address and I can send you a copy of my manual. Mine is only a 2 tonne machine with a single spinner. I did note when I just looked and they said don't reverse the machine with the V belt engaged.

Ken

The PTO directly connects to the paddles. The ground drive chain to move the floor grid has a disconnect lever for transport right there where the chain is located.

The half of drive link on the buggie that attaches to the pto of the tractor had been picked up or stolen one, when the guy i bought it from went to get his truck and hook it up to take it home from the auction.

So i called the company today and order another one that is costing me about $ 200 for it and shipping. Found out from the serial number that the buggie is a 1998 model 6 ton buggie. Guy i bought it from thought it was a 4 ton. The buggie looks like brand new. I bought it for $ 1000. One of the dealers salesman told me a 2020 buggie cost $ 16500. I got a pretty good deal on it.

Texasmark, yeah i found how to engage the drive chain. I haven't got to look over the chart where you adjust your rate at very close yet to see what all information it has. I know if you set the gate according to the chart it can tell you like what it needs to be set at for a rate of 150 lbs per acre or say 200 lbs per acre etc...., But i don't know it the chart also specifys at what ground speed you should run also ?

504RP said:
Texasmark, yeah i found how to engage the drive chain. I haven't got to look over the chart where you adjust your rate at very close yet to see what all information it has. I know if you set the gate according to the chart it can tell you like what it needs to be set at for a rate of 150 lbs per acre or say 200 lbs per acre etc...., But i don't know it the chart also specifys at what ground speed you should run also ?
The chain speeds will vary with your drive speed so it shouldn't matter. I try to keep my pto speed up so it throws it properly.

Man from just what few u tube videos i watched. I guess a person could make it pretty complicated ? Way over my anyway.

As tom stated, the rate selector on the rear sets the rate and that's based on the gear ratio and the circumference of the tires....so you can go as fast as you want and the floor sweep will sweep out the material at a proportional rate. Most have a sticker on the rear of the hopper near the selector telling you the gate setting for the desired #/A. PTO rpm at rated 540 gives the usual 40-60' swath as I recall...depends on material.

As I recall, the 6 ton are what the bulk supplier around here uses.

On chains, TSC carries a variety at a somewhat reasonable price.