Chicken Houses for Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

CL87

Reaction score
New Member and First Time Poster here so go easy on me… I got the crazy idea this weekend while riding around. Could you wean and feed calves in a commercial chicken house. Most of the ones in my area(North Alabama) that have been decommissioned have curtain sides and dirt floors. I understand you would have to add some infrastructure inside but the main structure would be good to keep them out of the weather during the winter months.

Why not? They will have shelter and I assume hay and water. But, are you meaning they never leave the Chicken house, or will they have a least a small lot to move about in?
Yes, I could use the existing water lines and the existing feed lines/feed bins. They would not leave the house until they were sold. I would keep the calves there around 90 days. I would either wean my calves and keep them in there or buy calves and wean them then ship them off. Cleaning out the barn between groups. Most likely using wood chips or shavings for bedding since that's easy to get in my area.

Feed lines and water systems for chickens are not going to work for calves. They would be suspended by cables from the ceiling and would not survive loose calves. And not made for a calf to eat or drink from. Those have to come out.
Some very old chicken houses were not trussed and have a couple rows of 4x4 support posts to hold the roof up. I would not trust those to survive calves.
Ninety days of manure and urine accumulation prior to cleanout is going to be ugly and unhealthy depending on how many calves in the house. Think about ventilation and drainage.
Curtain sided houses have chicken wire and fabric curtains on the side. Will need some modifications to hold calves.
With some modifications, a chicken house would be suitable for a shelter in snow or ice conditions, but I think they are better off in a pasture with hay, grass and water for most of their "working hours".

New Member and First Time Poster
Could you wean and feed calves in a commercial chicken house?
(North Alabama) curtain sides and dirt floors.
I understand you would have to add some infrastructure inside but the main structure would be good
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, it could be done and possibly do fence line feeding.
I would open an end or side of the building to a large exercise area with good drainage to feed and water them outside. It would be good to have shelter during weaning and to bunk train them. But they should be moved out in 8-12 weeks (56-84 days) and the cost of infrastructure might be more than the benefits are worth.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about it, but aren't there folks who winter cows in deep bedded barns? If I understand it right, they keep adding bedding and just clean out in the spring. Why would this be any different?

The curtains roll up, why would ventilation be a problem?

I would think one could be modified fairly cheaply to work. Some rough cut lumber screwed to the posts to keep the calves off the wire walls. A couple big tanks set under the waterline tee's, get enough capacity to last 2-3 days between filling and just fill manually so no lines get down to calf level.
Not the worst idea I've ever heard of, give it a try. The big money will be in filling the barn. Vac for pinkeye!

Welcome to the boards. Sounds like you already have cattle. Tell us about what you are doing now?
Thank you! Yes and no…. I had a few cows 3 years ago on rented ground but sold out and took that money to buy land and build a home. Now that I have a small piece of land I buy replacement heifers every year(mostly rejects from registered herds) and sell to local farmers as commercial replacements.

I don't know anything about it, but aren't there folks who winter cows in deep bedded barns? If I understand it right, they keep adding bedding and just clean out in the spring. Why would this be any different?
Dirt floor rather than cement for cleaning out and cement is expensive.
Hooves, weight, manure and urine all work in destroying the ground vs chickens
or turkey body weight and bird litter.

Last edited:
How did they clean out when the chickens were there?
They didn't do a full clean out while the chickens were there. Maybe scooped up a spot or two where the shavings got vey wet(roof leak) or where manure caked up early on.

Chicken feet, body weight don't puncture and churn the ground into a 'mud' hole like cattle or hogs. Also a lot less manure, so litter can absorbed poultry waste and be cleaned off of a dirt floor much easier.
What if you use wood chips? I would distribute weight better than shavings. If it was 1 foot deep wouldn't it be less likely to cause a mud hole?

I guess my question is why to confine weaning age calves in a building full time for three months in a southern climate. Northern Alabama weather would not be considered extreme for most people. I don't have experience with raising calves in confinement, but I think they would do better outside on pasture in this climate. They can still be fed as needed. Veal calves are raised in confinement. Different situation, but you might search for info on those setups for some ideas.
Those old curtain sided chicken houses were built pretty flimsy. Not unusual for those to collapse with some snow or wind. There is some risk there.
Existing water lines in the house are probably PVC hung just below the roof. In an unheated house in the winter, those will freeze and burst. Probably plan to put those underground or water at the end of the house where the water line comes in.
If you try it, post some pictures and let us know how it goes. We all learn from each other's experiences.

Latest posts