Chicken Houses for Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Why do you need a building?
To respond to the first question and second question. I am assuming it would be easier to secure a lease on a decommissioned chicken house rather than pasture. Therefore I'm thinking it would be a easier way to get my foot in the door of the cattle business and make use of something that is not viewed as valuable to the owner. I could put together a load of calves from local farms and sale barns, vaccinate according to protocol, wean and break them to feed, then send them to a feedlot or to a special feeder calf sale.

(DISCLAIMER: I have never done this before. I am not as experienced as some of you are on this forum. I certainly do not want to come across as a smart butt or know-it-all. I am simply asking questions to see if I can find a place for myself in the cattle business and learn from others.)

To respond to the first question and second question. I am assuming it would be easier to secure a lease on a decommissioned chicken house rather than pasture. Therefore I'm thinking it would be a easier way to get my foot in the door of the cattle business and make use of something that is not viewed as valuable to the owner. I could put together a load of calves from local farms and sale barns, vaccinate according to protocol, wean and break them to feed, then send them to a feedlot or to a special feeder calf sale.

(DISCLAIMER: I have never done this before. I am not as experienced as some of you are on this forum. I certainly do not want to come across as a smart butt or know-it-all. I am simply asking questions to see if I can find a place for myself in the cattle business and learn from others.)
Maybe someone will come along and explain why it is a good idea. I don't see it.

Back when I lived on the coast I thought about this. Either an old dairy barn or a chicken house. But there it would be 36 degrees and raining all the time. Keeping them out of the weather was the idea. It would require lots of bedding. Best have a good source of cheap bedding.

Back when I lived on the coast I thought about this. Either an old dairy barn or a chicken house. But there it would be 36 degrees and raining all the time. Keeping them out of the weather was the idea. It would require lots of bedding. Best have a good source of cheap bedding.
As you know Dave Coastal Oregon is a world away from North Alabama.

Doesn't keeping animals indoors lead to many respiratory issues?

As you know Dave Coastal Oregon is a world away from North Alabama.

Doesn't keeping animals indoors lead to many respiratory issues?
It was mentioned having curtain sides. Raise those curtains. One open side will give plenty of ventilation. I certainly wouldn't keep calves indoors in the summer. Especially in the SE.

I know where he's coming from. Land cost/availability is prohibitive. These old barns are sitting idle, could be leased cheap. Already some infrastructure in place. I would think, as others said, having outdoor access would be a good idea. I also think a fairly low stocking rate would be better and help alleviate some of the issues that have been discussed. Give it a try, the worst case scenario is that it doesn't work. Best case is you figure out a way to make some money on the deal and satisfy your cattle bug.

I know where he's coming from. Land cost/availability is prohibitive. These old barns are sitting idle, could be leased cheap. Already some infrastructure in place. I would think, as others said, having outdoor access would be a good idea. I also think a fairly low stocking rate would be better and help alleviate some of the issues that have been discussed. Give it a try, the worst case scenario is that it doesn't work. Best case is you figure out a way to make some money on the deal and satisfy your cattle bug.
I'd say they are much better used for storing hay...;)

New Member and First Time Poster here so go easy on me… I got the crazy idea this weekend while riding around. Could you wean and feed calves in a commercial chicken house. Most of the ones in my area(North Alabama) that have been decommissioned have curtain sides and dirt floors. I understand you would have to add some infrastructure inside but the main structure would be good to keep them out of the weather during the winter months.
Maybe as a shelter but not to stay in. Cows belong on grass.