Chicken House

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I am not trying to steal anyones thread, but I have been reading all posts about Chickens. Many of us want or already have Chickens. I want my Chickens to free range daily, and have safe shelter to protect them from predators at night. I have not read anything about safe protective shelters. I've had chickens before and enjoyed them. Has anyone any suggestions. All input will be welcomed. Thank you, Tom

By far no expert on chicken houses but,my chicken houses are about 12'x12' and I also have a closed in chicken pen about 20.x20' in front of each one.(enclosed on top also). All my nests are on one wall and I have hinged doors to the nests on the outside of the house, where I don't have to go inside to gather eggs. I do open them up to free range every day.They always go back to lay eggs and to roost of a night.If i'm not going to be back in time to close them up at night I just let them run in the pen.

Cal

you can build a 12 by 12 or bigger henhouse.an build the run to accomadate the number of chickens you want.a 12 by 12 will house 50 hens at 3 sq foot pre hen.

Tom, How many chickens, and are they going to be hens or for eating?

For a henhouse, say 25 birds. A 12x12 or 8x16 something like that would work well. A simple shed roof is nice with the high part and windows and screens to the South. Start the chicks in their house and let them get attached to it :D After a while they will like to roost, have a couple high roosts for them and maybe one lower for them to start on, they will eventually go as high as they can. Have a half dozen nest so they don't need to crowd when layin. Have the nests lower then the roosts so the don't roost in the nests. After a while open the door, let them venture out on their own. They will return late in the day to the coop. :D

When my hens got used to the hen house I started letting the door open druring the day and let them range and then whey would return to the hen house at night and I would shut them in.

I can't do that now because my jennies and foals are in the barnyard and they will go into the hen house and destroy it. Turns out that donkeys think that layer pellets are a tasty stack.

I have thought of having some sort of hen doggie door, but then predators can get in there, too.

I used to let my hens come and go as they would come to the hen house every night.

but between the foxes and the birds of prey catching em in the day time and the coons and the possums in the hen house at night, I finally just enclosed the pen and left them in. then the only thing I had to deal with was snakes in the nest boxes. I threatened to trade the chickens for hogs but I just don't like hogs even though I love bacon and ham and sausage. but now we got bears and i spect the bears would get after the pigs.

I also built a chicken tractor but have not used it in a year or so. Portable pen with shelter but i had to tote food and water to it daily. Depending on where it was it could be a chore. It is also getting heavy for an old man to move. It was easier a few years ago.

I was just going to ask if anyone used a chicken tractor. You wouldn't happen to have plans or some photos would you?

no plans as I just got some lumber and started hacking away.

I do have some photos somewhere if I can find em.

Might not be in this computer.

there are all manner of plans availble on line.

We have a 12X36 laying house with 27 nesting boxes two hen exits, three clean outs under the roosts and a 12X8 egg room. Two auto waterers which are the best thing that we installed...ran heat tape under pipe insulation and duct taped the whole run, no winter freeze ups and the birds layed well all winter with the light on a timer.
We currently run about 80 hens, haven't counted lately but started 30 chicks as replacements and will start 50 more in the fall.
Chickens will roost in the same place every night if they can so when the sun goes down they are all inside and we close the hatches. A fenced run 24 X 60 allows plenty of outside time. When the flys are on the plop we turn a dozen or so loose in the catle pens after the morning lay, IMO it helps keep the flys under control and the hens like it.
Used a few to weed the spuds last year, worked well but when the weed shoots were gone then they started on the spud leaves...short lived experiment.
Dogs keep the coyotes away and haven't found any owl or hawk leavings but have both that hunt the place...did catch a young great horned owl in the house trying to get out a window, didn't kill any hens. I tried to catch it with a fish net (a big one) but it would fold it's wings when I trapped it against the wall and would fall to the floor...after a few failed attempts it flew out one of the hen doors...haven't seen a owl near the birds since. Think that I'll count the hens tomorrow now that my curiosity is up.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not. Dmc

Lammie said:
When my hens got used to the hen house I started letting the door open druring the day and let them range and then whey would return to the hen house at night and I would shut them in.

I can't do that now because my jennies and foals are in the barnyard and they will go into the hen house and destroy it. Turns out that donkeys think that layer pellets are a tasty stack.

I have thought of having some sort of hen doggie door, but then predators can get in there, too.[/quote

This is on one of my uncles old chinken houses. It will let the chickens in and out and keep the jennies and foals out also. Just have to close it up when the chickens go to roost.

View attachment 1

Latest posts