Check this out

Help Support CattleToday:

Stockguy

Reaction score
SHALL WE HIRE A MONUMENT ENGRAVER TO GO TO **ARLINGTON**
NATIONAL** **CEMETERY** AND ADD THE MISSING WORDS ?

A MESSAGE FROM AN APPALLED OBSERVER:

Today I went to visit the new World War
II Memorial in **Washington , DC I got an unexpected history
lesson Because I'm a baby boomer, I was one of the youngest
in the crowd. Most were the age of my parents, Veterans of
"the greatest war," with their families. It was a beautiful
day, and people were smiling and happy to be there. Hundreds
of us milled around the memorial, reading the inspiring
words of Eisenhower and Truman that are engraved there.

On the Pacific side of the memorial, a group of us gathered
to read the words President Roosevelt used to announce the
attack on **Pearl Harbor* *:

Yesterday, December 7,
1941-- a date which will live in infamy--the United States
of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked.

One elderly woman read the words aloud:

"With confidence in our armed forces, with the abounding
determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable
triumph."

But as she read, she was suddenly turned angry. "Wait a
minute," she said, "they left out the end of the quote..
They left out the most important part. Roosevelt ended the
message with **"_so help us God_."**
Her husband said, "You are probably right. We're not
supposed to say things like that now."

"I know I'm right," she insisted. "I remember the speech."
The two looked dismayed, shook their heads sadly and walked
away.

Listening to their conversation, I thought to myself,Well,
it has been over 50 years she's probably **forgotten."

But she had not forgotten. She was right.

I went home and pulled out the book my book club is reading
--- "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley. It's all about
the battle at Iwo Jima .
I haven't gotten too far in the book. It's tough to read
because it's a graphic description of the WWII battles in
the Pacific.

But right there it was on page 58. Roosevelt 's speech to
the nation **ends in "**_ so help us God_**."**

**The people who edited out that part of the speech when
they engraved it on the memorial could have fooled me. I was
born after the war.! But they couldn't fool the people who
were there. Roosevelt **'s words are engraved on
their hearts.

Now I ask: "WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE WORDS OF
HISTORY?????????"

Send this around to your friends People need to know before
everyone forgets. **_People today are trying to change the
history of _**_America_**_ _**_by leaving God out of it, but
the truth is, God has been a part of this nation, since the
beginning. He still wants to be...and He always will be! _**

Stockguy":3cj4oko8 said:
**_People today are trying to change the history of _**_America_**_ _**_by leaving God out of it, but the truth is, God has been a part of this nation, since the beginning. He still wants to be...and He always will be! _**

The rest of what you say is true, but see the bold? Not necessarily.

When a nation turns its back on God, God just may return the favor by turning His back on the nation. Then we are in trouble.......

angie2":1kup0ag2 said:
Stockguy":1kup0ag2 said:
**_People today are trying to change the history of _**_America_**_ _**_by leaving God out of it, but the truth is, God has been a part of this nation, since the beginning. He still wants to be...and He always will be! _**

When a nation turns its back on God, God just may return the favor by turning His back on the nation. Then we are in trouble.......

Well said.
This is what so many people do not care to realize this day and time.
So many people do not care for the truth, but twist reality to suit their purpose. Many pay lip service to their religion, but harbor a different spirit in their lives.

I read where the National Parks Service, who operates such places have been changing alot of the memorials. The Washington Monument has a plate on top of it . It is has various scripts on it when it was built , one being in reference to God. A duplicate of the plate is at ground level so the public can see it . The Goverment ordered the Parks Service to have it changed and remove the reference to God from the plate . They are so concerened about offending 5% of the people , so they offend the other 95% to do it.

I have always wondered about something. Doesn't our constitution say something about freedom of religion. It does not say anything about freedom of non-religion.

Read somewhere that over 85% of the US population is of a religeous belief. If this is correct why do we let the 15% try to remove God from our country?
:mad: :mad:
Cal

novatech":2punczwk said:
I have always wondered about something. Doesn't our constitution say something about freedom of religion. It does not say anything about freedom of non-religion.

The first ammendment prohibits the govt from forming or endorsing a religion or prohibiting anyone from practicing thiers.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

GMN":2julynwz said:
Next thing it will be is the US currency, "In God we Trust"

It wasn't on there to begin with, it was put on coins at the time of the Civil War and not on paper money until the 1950s.

Founders were a little sketchy (as in leery) of religion. One of the biggies for a lot of the first Euro immigrants coming over here. They were sick of state-sponsored religious abuse.

I mean if you really want to respect history.

Hippie Rancher":2jjd3w8m said:
GMN":2jjd3w8m said:
Founders were a little sketchy (as in leery) of religion. One of the biggies for a lot of the first Euro immigrants coming over here. They were sick of state-sponsored religious abuse.

I mean if you really want to respect history.

They were leery of state sposored religion. Not leery of religion.

The Continental Congress made their first official act a call to prayer on September 6, 1774, after just receiving news that the British troops had attacked Boston. The first prayer in Congress was uttered on September 7, 1774, in Carpenter’s Hall, Philadelphia.

Walt

Txwalt":3v75idyg said:

From what I have read several were leery of organized religion period. However you are basically correct.

I couldn't say it much better than this, especially the last sentence:

"Some of the first colonists of the nation for which the Constitution was written had been seeking to escape religious persecution. The constitutions of several of the states prohibited public support of religion (though some did explicitly support or demand adherence to Christianity). Above all, the many varying sects of Christianity in America required that to be fair to all, there could be preference to none. It would have been disgraceful for anyone to wish to leave the United States because of religious persecution. So the authors decided it best to keep the government out of religion. This is not to say that the United States was not or is not a religious nation. Religion plays a big role in the everyday life of Americans, then and now. But what the authors were striving for is tolerance... something I fear contemporary Americans are lacking."

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnotes.html#Am1

Hippie Rancher":2pdz13ha said:
Txwalt":2pdz13ha said:

From what I have read several were leery of organized religion period. However you are basically correct.

I couldn't say it much better than this, especially the last sentence:

"Some of the first colonists of the nation for which the Constitution was written had been seeking to escape religious persecution. The constitutions of several of the states prohibited public support of religion (though some did explicitly support or demand adherence to Christianity). Above all, the many varying sects of Christianity in America required that to be fair to all, there could be preference to none. It would have been disgraceful for anyone to wish to leave the United States because of religious persecution. So the authors decided it best to keep the government out of religion. This is not to say that the United States was not or is not a religious nation. Religion plays a big role in the everyday life of Americans, then and now. But what the authors were striving for is tolerance... something I fear contemporary Americans are lacking."

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnotes.html#Am1

I'll have to disagree with who ever you quoted. And agree that atleast Thomas Paine had a problem with organized religion. Although he did believe in a higher being.

Walt

angie2":31mefpxp said:
Stockguy":31mefpxp said:

Well put Angie. The Old Testament is full of examples of what happens when a nation turns away from God.

Larry

larryshoat":lyd6spqq said:
angie2":lyd6spqq said:
Stockguy":lyd6spqq said:

Well put Angie. The Old Testament is full of examples of what happens when a nation turns away from God.

Larry
Indeed, but so few are aware of what the Old Testament says. As it is, you either learn your history, or you repeat it. Applies to individuals as well as nations.

Calman":25l5bkhg said:
Read somewhere that over 85% of the US population is of a religeous belief. If this is correct why do we let the 15% try to remove God from our country?
:mad: :mad:
Cal
Well Cal, on Sunday when your in church look around and ask yourself if it looks like 85% of your community is there. That will illustrate the commitment of a large portion of that 85% to their faith. A warning from the Lord Jesus Christ from the Gospel of Matthew:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Larry

Latest posts