CharXSimm & CharXAngus

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmental7

Reaction score
Yes, i realize that generally this cross would be a smoke in most cases but what if you take that progeny and put it on set of black cows

Simmental7":7cg35h7n said:
Yes, i realize that generally this cross would be a smoke in most cases but what if you take that progeny and put it on set of black cows
i wouldnt do either, but if forced.... id take my chances with the char/angus..... rats and curlys with the other

really like either one of those crosses on angus based cows. but like alacowman said watch out for the rat tails from the sim's and they should mash the sacales down at sale time. i lost a bull this summer and replaced him with a char angus he was out of an wyoming wind daughter and predestined, i am planning on down the road to use him on the redpoll angus cows and red poll char cows. but there gonna be ai'd to a calving ease angus the first go round.

ive got two rats that are going to market monday.... they do great on moma, and outside of the hide they are as good as my blacks... but im expecting a discount

@Ala: have you considered selling their mommas too? I assume you at least never keep heifers out of the cows that sometimes throw the rats, right?

I believe the Char X Angus will be your best cross. The Char X SIMM will be harder to finish & be later maturing (maybe a good animal to put on a lengthy feed)
If u had ur time again I'd go Black SIMM X Angus or better still Black Limousin X Angus. The resulting calf will maintain marketable black hide & the Limousin is particular will increase muscle, yield, feed efficiency & increase daily weight gain.

The rat tail only comes from cattle with the diluter gene. I guess in some commercial herds, there may still be simmies with the diluter gene, but you would be hard pressed to find it in a modern PB Simmental herd. BTW, that article is 11 years old!
Years ago, we used to get curly haired diluted calves. They performed as well as any animal on the farm. Have shown a few. Trust me, if an animal didn't perform, it sure won't show.
I understand that there has been some research saying they did not perform well, but I believe the more recent articles proved it was cattle on feedlots IN THE NORTH, because they had so little hair the cold bothered their performance. Of course, I'm slightly considered in the "North" :p :p
I think it's more of one of those things that the feedlot buyers can use as an excuse (another one) to discount. Reality of not, I do understand they are discounted. But, if you have a black Simmental, there is absolutely no possible way it will pass on the diluter gene, because he cannot have one to pass on!! Now, a red Simmie, could be dark red and be harboring the diluter gene. Red's don't necessary "express" the diluter gene the way we expect (like being yellow).
Back to the original question. Cont x Cont should be a better performing cross with British cows. (most hybred vigor).