charxangus

Help Support CattleToday:

FlaAngus

Reaction score
Has anyone else had to do a little panel climbing because of em? out of probably 5000 "gray manaces" that my granpa paw and me have dealt with, only about 100 could be ruled out of the demon spawn category. Most have been contract yearlings. Talk about bad attitudes

we had some like that years ago. i culled all the attitudes and the others are still here as 14 year olds. some really good cows. one little gray heifer i remember was mean as a snake. we had to get her up to pull her calf and we spent one entire day trying to catch her. she had two feet out. well it got dark that day before we ever caught her and she got away from us and we all figured the calf was dead. we decided to let everyone rest and we'd try again the next day. finally caught her by some miracle of God around lunch time the next day and pulled a normal presentation HEIFER calf that surprisingly was still alive. i love sending cows like that to town.

ive got a 1st calf heifer and a show steer in the pen off of a good old char cow and good angus bull that will run you over to see how much corn is in the bucket. you can't scare the steer and the heifer (or cow whichever you prefer) is nearly as gentle

I have had several smokie calves, using my Angus bull on my Chars and they are very easy working. All of my Chars have been good cows and the Angus bull has a good disposition. I think its no different with any cross, the secret is in selecting good calm easy handling cattle.

I have one Brangus cow and when I first brought her home she would snort and paw at the ground and charge at me, but now she is not the boss cow anymore and she will let me drive within 5 feet of her on the 4 wheeler and just look up and go right back to eating. When she calved last Nov, she went down due to a calcium defficiency and we had to give her a unit via an IV and I had taken her calf from her and let her nurse another heifer that took right up with her. Then when we got her back to her feet she just watched me as I carried her calf back to her in the corral. She has been a changed cow since that time.

I think one bad apple can spoil the bunch sometimes.

Just my experience.

Latest posts