Charlie, a bull, a horse and a dog...

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have a button buck named "charlie". This spring he was born as a twin in the small 5 acre woodlot behind the house. I have this woodlot and the adjacent 5 acre pasture fenced with field fence and two strands of barb. Every evening charlies momma would take him and his sibling out into the pasture to the fence edge and she would jump the fence and try and get the twins to follow. To make a long story short charlie never would jump the fence. His sibling did and eventually the mother just left charlie. Well charlie still lives in my horse / bull pasture. It is interesting to see him interact with his pasture mates. He will follow my horse around and mimick him. Grazes when he grazes, drinks when he drinks. He even lays down within a few feet of the bull at night when it is cold. My herd bull doesn't seem to mind at all. I put my lab into the pasture every day because he likes to swin in the pond. He is old and blind in one eye but still a pup at heart. He will see the deer and chase him about 20 yards and give up. The deer will stop and come back closer and closer until the dog chases him again. It is like a game and great entertainment for the whole family. Charlie eventually gives up when the dog tires and he goes back into the woodlot for a deer nap or whatever browsing he finds interesting. I ususally go out to feed in the mornings and he will let me get to within 25 feet or so before he moves off and watches me. By the end of spring he may be pretty tame. He is very active and I have seen him jump logs and downed tree tops with no effort. I know he can jump the fence but I think he has some kind of mental block. My father thinks that he may have tried to jump it when he was younger and got hung up and now he is afraid. We found a spot where the fence was stressed like something was hung up in it. It might have been him. It is very interesting to sit on the deck and watch the animals of totally different species interact right in my back yard.

cowboyup216":2s24ynlo said:
Hoss,

I hope that no hunter comes along and kills your pet deer. Be careful around him and always remember he is a wild animal and he could kill you at any moment. My great uncle had a pet orphaned deer once. He would feed it and it would come to him and let him rub it etc. It was his bottle baby. Well one day he found it dead on the side of the road after being hit by a car and he was very sad. I just hope the same thing doesnt happen to your pet deer. Good luck with him

cowboyup216, I know what you mean. I used to have a "pet" buck named Bucky. Bucky was a very gentle animal that loved to mooch sweet tarts out of your pocket most all year. Getting into October he turned into a dangerous monster. I had to carry a piece of 2x4 with me when I went out where he usually hung around. Come antler dropping time he was back to being a big baby. I had a big orange collar on him during deer season and spray painted his tail orange. He lived a few years but never got a big rack. It was probably from being stunted from bottle feeding. During the rut he would chase does around. One year he never returned home. I am not sure if he was shot or hit by a car. He was about 5 years old at that time with a small 8 point rack.

Latest posts