Charge for hauling hay???

Help Support CattleToday:

70 miles is a good little jaunt with 15 rolls of hay. $ 200 would be the least I would charge, your already losing money on the hay don't lose on the delivery too. It will be more like 4-5 hrs. Out of your day and a lot of people can drive a tractor but not run a tractor so your trailer may come under fire in the process.

You shouldn't do it for any less than 200. For your hay price I don't think you would have trouble selling without hauling it. I delivered a load of small squares last fall just added it on to bale price. IT was high i don't like hay hauling very time consuming usually a **** show when you get there. We sold some last week another guy coming this week. 5x5.5 tight rolls grass hay in the barn 40 each use my tractor to load on their trailer. I don't particiapate other than taking the check. I know these people

I never knew there was such a thing as too much hay. 😉My daddy always said "hay in the barn is like money in the bank".
Still going to have some left, this is stored outside, no hay barns. Will keep some that is under tarp. This is probably my worst hay, so priced accordingly.

We try to carry over 2-300 rolls a year... just in case. 2 years ago fed out 3 yr old hay that wasn't great.... but the cows thought it was wonderful. All stored outside. Glad to have had it as hay was hard to find and we were running close. Think we had 30 rolls left the following spring. So, yeah, I don't like to let too much go..... I am of the never too much hay....
We will feed the older hay out first most years. And different quality to different groups of cows too....

Never to much hay is a good thing. I sold some 5x6 bales this past summer and wish now I hadnt. I figure I'll still end up with around 30 rolls left over once cows leave for grass in spring, but that's still cutting it a little close for my taste, especially if we have another dry summer.

i believe i would advertise as $35 a roll free delivery if you buy 15 instead of selling it for $20 and getting everybody and their brother from far off trying to buy cheap hay

Little late to post since I'm sure you you delivered your hay 2 months ago but I just wanted to share my experience this year. I got a call from a guy 75 miles away to deliver hay this year, I was a little reluctant when he said he had horses and I don't like going that far but told him $3.50 a loaded mile and he didn't seem to mind. Turns out there was a hay shortage here this year. He ended up buying all the rest of my rounds this year and I've been buying what hay I can find and reselling it to him. Turned out pretty well for me, he always has cash isn't to picky on the hay and has committed to buying 250 of my rounds this year. I've since been charging him less of course and it's given me something to do over the winter. Hopefully it continues to work out

Little late to post since I'm sure you you delivered your hay 2 months ago but I just wanted to share my experience this year. I got a call from a guy 75 miles away to deliver hay this year, I was a little reluctant when he said he had horses and I don't like going that far but told him $3.50 a loaded mile and he didn't seem to mind. Turns out there was a hay shortage here this year. He ended up buying all the rest of my rounds this year and I've been buying what hay I can find and reselling it to him. Turned out pretty well for me, he always has cash isn't to picky on the hay and has committed to buying 250 of my rounds this year. I've since been charging him less of course and it's given me something to do over the winter. Hopefully it continues to work out
That guy kept bugging me about hay and when it came time he never responded again. Forgot about even selling it and then someone local asked about it. Like I said it wasn't the best and upfront about it. I told this local guy to come get 5 rolls, what he said he could haul and if they ate it he owed me if not not to worry about it. he said no and paid upfront and was messaging within a week wanting more and ended up buying it all.

These are 4 x5 rolls, probably not the best but clean second cutting. I priced it for $20, too cheap but just got way too much.
The $25 price on rounds I posted in Feb. fell one week in March, too cheap to pass up I paid $15 and the ones I didn't buy sold for $12.50
Now the last 3 weeks the same rounds sold for $40 - timing is everything

The $25 price on rounds I posted in Feb. fell one week in March, too cheap to pass up I paid $15 and the ones I didn't buy sold for $12.50
Now the last 3 weeks the same rounds sold for $40 - timing is everything
Seeing lots of hay here for all prices ranges, people trying to get rid of it.
I got the feeling that this year will be a short year on hay, was dry for this time of the year and grass is behind.

I'm in western pa. 4x5s have been holding strong at $60-$80. Some going for $100,since November. 4x4s aren't much cheaper. If I see an add for hay thats $40-$50 bale (which is a normal price here) it's gone within hours. We had nice weather this year for making hay but also not much rain so the yields weren't as high. The corn price is still high here to so I expect hay prices to stay high again this year as alot of farmers are turning as much ground as they can into corn fields

Latest posts