Charge for hauling hay???

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What would be a fair charge to haul 15 rolls about 70 miles? Someone is wanting to buy some hay and has a truck down, I really want to move some hay but wasn't too interested in hauling it. This is not someone I know to be doing a favor for that would possibly get returned.

Depends on what your time is worth to you. Not less than a 1.00/mile round trip.

Had 2nd thoughts. What are you getting for the hay? I think I'd put the ball back in his court. If you really want to sell it consider a discount, but he has to find someone to come get it. Too easy for trouble to occur. A blown tire or axle trouble with your trailer makes for a bad day. When you get their he may be the type that tells you not to unload it, because he found some elsewhere.

Last edited:
What would be a fair charge to haul 15 rolls about 70 miles? Someone is wanting to buy some hay and has a truck down, I really want to move some hay but wasn't too interested in hauling it. This is not someone I know to be doing a favor for that would possibly get returned.
We generally will deliver full loads which will be 17 + depending on bale size for free. But that's pretty local. Say 15 miles. I would rather haul the hay on my schedule in one trip than deal with someone coming through my gate and down my road several times with utility trailer for me to stop what I'm doing and load.

70 miles away I would charge 3.00 one way. And make damn sure there's a machine there to unload.

Honestly for me if there on going customers I try taking care of them and haul it over for free I think my farthest customer is 12 miles tho. Your case it's up in the air if there just a one time customer or if they bought from you in the past. Loyalty means alot to me so I try helping out my customers best I can and honestly what's it gonna cost you 5 to 10 gallons in fuel? But if it's someone you feel is just gonna buy once or take advantage of you add 10 to 15 bucks a bail to deliver

$150.00. per trip. How much the hay costs., or how many they buy, would not figure into the price for me, if I were the one selling and hauling it. Gonna take up at least 3 hours, an hour on the road each way, and another hour loading and unloading. 10 mpg for 140 miles, would be 14 gallons., so I would figure $42 for fuel. That leaves me a little over $100 for 3 hours or more of work. That's hauling my hay that they bought from me. If they wanted me to go to someone else's place, and haul that hay to their place, then it will be more.

$3.50 a loaded mile: 70 miles = $245

$4.00 a loaded mile if he bought the hay from someone else $280
$3 bucks a loaded mile if I was looking for work = $210
$2.00 a loaded mile if I was helping out a friend or family = $140
$1 a buck a loaded mile when I was living in the '70s

Last edited:
Since there has been no drought, doesn't it seem odd to be going 70 miles to find hay for sale? Since you don't know him I'd be sure to get paid up front, or you could load, haul and find nobody home! Something just seems odd to me. He needs hay, goes 70 miles away to find it, but his truck it broke down.:(

Since there has been no drought, doesn't it seem odd to be going 70 miles to find hay for sale? Since you don't know him I'd be sure to get paid up front, or you could load, haul and find nobody home! Something just seems odd to me. He needs hay, goes 70 miles away to find it, but his truck it broke down.:(
I had advertised hay and been getting lots of calls from places an hour or so away. I asked one guy and he said most around him was priced a lot higher.

Latest posts