Charcoal Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea of the ideal distance a grill should have between the charcoal and the grate? I've got some scrap metal and am playing around with the idea of building a grill just for steaks. I've got some heavy gauge metal pieces that I think would really put the sear on a steak once heated, just need to get the distance right. I read where most grills are set for 5" but this is a compromise for burgers because the ideal heat for steaks would burn the burgers before they were completely cooked. Thanks

Didn't see it Jo. I have and egg style grill and I yse lump charcoal. It is approx 10" from bottom to grill grate. Because of the design I can regulate temp from 200 to 600deg for sresk I like it at 500deg. I only cook it for 30 sec 15 on each side. Lump charcoal is the only way to go.

Jogeephus":39o7kf0o said:
Deepsouth":39o7kf0o said:
And you were a little impatient with us.

Waiting on ya'll is like backing up. :lol2: I'll just blame ya'll if the steaks don't turn out good.

So how close did you put the grill to the coals? And be sure to let us know how the steaks turn out.

I know nothing about the how high a grill needs to be to cook steaks.
But I'm a excellent taste tester.

M-5":195i3iie said:
Didn't see it Jo. I have and egg style grill and I yse lump charcoal. It is approx 10" from bottom to grill grate. Because of the design I can regulate temp from 200 to 600deg for sresk I like it at 500deg. I only cook it for 30 sec 15 on each side. Lump charcoal is the only way to go.
Why don't you just get you a couple of bites right off the steer and let the critter live until the next steak dinner and repeat. Course the meat would be over 100 degrees which is probably too hot. :mrgreen: :lol2:

Sure am glad I asked Google and didn't wait for you guys. :lol2: Wasn't trying to smoke them or reinvent the wheel and build a copycat Weber. Wanted to build the Steak-n-ater. Something that would do justice to a steak. Something that would put a 700F sear with minimal charcoal. Did end up making it adjustable so I can do burgers - grate set at 5" for this but for the steaks the grate is set 3.5" off the coals. Trial run showed 723F but I'm not quibbling over 23F. Threw some venison on to test and it did wonderful. Just one problem. I will be needing some longer tongs because I singed all the hair off my hands and arms flipping the meat.

I'm posting this picture trusting that one of you deviants won't go and file a patent on the Steak-n-ater®.

Less than a minute on each side.

The Bug is getting in tonight and she has requested some real food. So tonight we will grill some Imbalancer for her homecoming meal.

I just gotta find some longer tongs. I think I have first degree burns on my arm. :oops: :lol2:

Jogeephus":27bj5frq said:
Deepsouth":27bj5frq said:

Waiting on ya'll is like backing up. :lol2: I'll just blame ya'll if the steaks don't turn out good.

There are some slackers on here. Most of them are from Florida and Tennessee but there's at least one from oregon.

Deepsouth":2cz709i8 said:
Jogeephus":2cz709i8 said:
Deepsouth":2cz709i8 said:

There are some slackers on here. Most of them are from Florida and Tennessee but there's at least one from oregon.

Ain't that the truth! And to think the guilt they would have had to bare had I not found the way on my own. Would have been brutal. Tortuous for sure.

Heck, I'm actually surprised no one suggested using a microwave and why Alan didn't suggest using the infrared pizza thing a majigger he recently purchased. You know darn well he's already run a steak through it. If he hasn't, I can assure you he's spent many a sleepless nights contemplating it. Or maybe he's just keeping his secrets to himself.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it. You sure ain't got to share your steak with anyone.

Latest posts