Char X calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Was surprized today when I visited one of the mediun to large sized feeders in the area and saw about a third of his pens had Char cross steers in them. This operation has mostly fed black in the past Didn't pry into his business but was wondering if this was a new direction with the prices holding or he could have just made a sweet deal on a few loads.

Susie David":3tmtmrji said:
Was surprized today when I visited one of the mediun to large sized feeders in the area and saw about a third of his pens had Char cross steers in them. This operation has mostly fed black in the past Didn't pry into his business but was wondering if this was a new direction with the prices holding or he could have just made a sweet deal on a few loads.
In seeking information I feel it is better to ask questions than to guess incorrectly. The best thing that can happen is you may learn something new. The worst thing that can happen is they can tell you to take a hike!

DOC HARRIS

Susie David":2cfyzuj9 said:

I have a good friend who is the procurement director for a 60,000 head feedlot in Kansas that stops in frequently and sleeps over.

He has data out the yen-yang on grid cattle that have gone through his feedlot in the past 10-12 years. He knows what makes money and what doesn't. He and I have poured over this data on several occasions while partaking in more than a few cocktails. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a million animals or more.

Bottom line....a Continental X British will turn a profit. Fat is the profit killer. Fat is not only waste but it takes almost double the feed to put on a pound of fat over lean. You'd also be surprised at how many of these crosses grade choice too. His data shows over 70%.

No, these guys didn't necessarily buy those Char crosses at a steal. The owner has a better chance of making money than not.

My Char/Hereford crosses have consistantly brought just as much as the better Angus and black baldy calves at our local sale barn. Who ever is buying, must be impressed with that crossing.

rwtherefords":39hvvhgl said:
My Char/Hereford crosses have consistantly brought just as much as the better Angus and black baldy calves at our local sale barn. Who ever is buying, must be impressed with that crossing.
Could be impressed with your cattle. A good buyer doesn't buy just because he likes a certain cross. The backgrounder or feedlot mgr. has something to say about what he buys.

Latest posts