Changing Hydraulic Filter

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I need to change the Hydraulic Filter on a tractor (darn boogers are expensive). The filter is on the underside of the chassis. How much fluid can I expect to lose when changing the filter. I want to be prepared and have enough to refill it.

I wouldn't expect to lose much more than what's in the filter.
I also wouldn't consider running old fluid through my new expensive filter. Or vice versa.
Or not being on possible lockdown without 20-30 gallons on hand...

Depends on the tractor, but for most you just lose what's in the filter and the plumbing above it. Not much.

Depends what hydraulic filter we are talking about. For loader, auxiliary pump, lift pump or tranny? Some you lose a little, some all of it.

What tractor?, on my older internationals you lose most of it.. Clean the area good and you can recover it if it isn't too gross

Tape a shop vac hose to the top of the fill pipe and turn it on, it pulls a vacuum on the reservoir and you won't lose any but what's in the filter and you don't make near as big a mess. Make sure the housing is clean so you don't pull dirt up into the trans.

Thanks all, I have decided I should probably just replace all of the fluid. It is an older AGCO GT65a. A good tractor but a pain the a$$ to find stuff out on because the line was discontinued about 10 years ago.

sstterry said:
Thanks all, I have decided I should probably just replace all of the fluid. It is an older AGCO GT65a. A good tractor but a pain the a$$ to find stuff out on because the line was discontinued about 10 years ago.

Those are nice tractors as I would 4-sure change all fluids/filters and take good care of it, if myself. They don't make them like that anymore after the EPA regs. went into place.

It has wet brakes so make sure you use the hydra fluid recommended for those.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/003/2/9/3295-agco-gt65.html

img.axd

jltrent said:
sstterry said:

Those are nice tractors as I would 4-sure change all fluids/filters and take good care of it, if myself. They don't make them like that anymore after the EPA regs. went into place.

img.axd

That is the one and I am using the recommended fluids (hydraulic is Permatran III). It is a great tractor. Too bad AGCO quit making them. It is my understanding that they felt they had too many brands. It was built by SAME in Italy.

sstterry said:
jltrent said:
sstterry said:

img.axd

That is the one and I am using the recommended fluids (hydraulic is Permatran III). It is a great tractor. Too bad AGCO quit making them. It is my understanding that they felt they had too many brands. It was built by SAME in Italy.

From the pics it almost looks like downtown Morristown. lol

I have had good luck with NAPA 85-405 Hydra fluid also.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FNJ85405

sstterry said:
I am told by a local Massey Dealer that there was a dealership in Rogersville that sold quite a few of the AGCO tractors.

Lawsons Kubota/MF at Rose Hill sold those at one time and his son has one (our town pharmacist) I think just like that.

THe Massey place in Rogersville I have been to a few times when my dad was still alive and we had a MF285 and a MF175. That has been several years ago.

Not trying to be bossy on the Hydra Fluid as I screwed up and bought Rotella Hydra fluid at TSC and put in my JD (expensive and read good). Before long the brakes started squawking. I changed it immediately and used JD Hy gard and the brakes were alright then, hoepfully I got it out in time before the brakes pads were damaged as that has been a few years ago.

sstterry said:
The manual says the GT65a is 70 hp with 65 at pto. Never had a problem with it doing what is required.

NEBRASKA TRACTOR TEST LABORATORY have a GT55a and GT75a test results, but no GT65a.

https://tractortestlab.unl.edu/agco

I consult the owner's manual first to see their method and cautions concerning the process. If I can't find out anything and always suspecting the filter would be connected to the sump directly, with the filtered fluid going to the pump (for pump reliability reasons) I prepare for the job expecting to loose some fluid.

I get a catch pan, like used to change the engine oil, under the filter interface, have the new filter ready, rapidly spin the old filter off and the new one on. The last time I did it on a 15ish gallon sump I maybe lost a quart of fluid......spilled, not including what was contained in the filter.

On why just the filter and not drain the whole sump, I didn't feel replacing the fluid at the time, just to be replacing it.....like the 50 hour service on a new tractor, was justified in my case. My equipment, I maintain it, my money, my decision. On any warranty issues, had I had a malfunction associated with fluid the monkey was on my back, not the OEMs.

I changed it all out yesterday, not much initial fluid loss, but I replaced the fluid too. Changing the filter on this tractor was easier than I thought, but I did have to spend a lot of time under the tractor because the housing was hard to get too.

Latest posts