Champion Bull.... pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
This is RCR Scorpion's Stinger. We bought him back in June and I posted pictures of him then. This was taken last month at the Ft. Worth Stock where he was the Grand Champion Bull. He looks short, but that is mostly b/c I am standing on a high spot.
D.O.B. 3/24/2004
Weight in picture: 1650lbs

stinger_Small.jpg

Well what do yall think?

Ryan

Ryan":1em3mnkf said:
This is RCR Scorpion's Stinger. We bought him back in June and I posted pictures of him then. This was taken last month at the Ft. Worth Stock where he was the Grand Champion Bull. He looks short, but that is mostly b/c I am standing on a high spot.
D.O.B. 3/24/2004
Weight in picture: 1650lbs

stinger_Small.jpg

Well what do yall think?

Ryan

Wanna' lend him out for the summer? :lol:

Bez!

In my opinion long horns have come along way from the "traditional longhorns". I really like this bull. He is definatly one of the better longhorn bulls that I have seen. Thanks Matthew kane

la4angus":35u0pic1 said:
Pretty beefy for a Longhorn

Thanks... we're workin on it.

Bez!,
If he didn't already have 15 - 20 or so heifers and young cows ready for him this summer (as soon as his show career is over the 1st week of June), we would be more than happy to lend him out ;)

Thanks to everyone else's comments, too. Keep 'Em comin

Ryan

Hill Creek Farm":2td4u3jj said:
Nice looking bull! He should sire some really good calves. :cboy:

His first calf should be here in the next month or two. We are really looking forward to them.

Ryan

Great looking bull! Beefy! Great color! How are his horn gentics? WR? Butler? Sire? Dam? ....... do tell.

Longhorn - or no Longhorn - this bull has a very acceptable Beef Phenotype! Picture him without the Longhorn horns and head, and imagine him all black - or all red or any solid color and you would have to admit that he is a fine example of a beef bull. To approach being optimal, I would like to see a heavier bone and more spring of rib to blend his shoulders into his body a little more smoothly. But he has overcome the "Longhorn Angularity" trait very well. Choose his cows very carefully, and you should have some more 'Blocky Longhorns' to show!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":bnimnk8u said:
Choose his cows very careffully, and you should have some more 'Blocky Longhorns' to show!

DOC HARRIS
Just don't loose sight of the Longhorns and the beautiful hides. That's what they're known for and makes them what they are.

Congratulations! He's a nice calf...very beefy!
la4angus":2f2i3cvc said:
Just don't loose sight of the Longhorns and the beautiful hides. That's what they're known for and makes them what they are.
I agree with this...but I know we've gone in circles about it before. :p But besides that, he's a nice bull and I wouldn't mind having a calf or two sired by him. Congrats again.

LonghornRanch":2m8gmck7 said:
How are his horn gentics? WR? Butler? Sire? Dam? ....... do tell.

here is a link to his papers: http://www.shopsanddollarranch.com/inv- ... tinger.pdf

Horns won't exactly be his strong suit. His dam has actually has a nice rack, but his sire's side (and most of his dam's side) is not noted for their horns. The Sunrise breeding going back to Dominator is known for execellent muscling and awesome mothers that are very feminine. He does have some great animals in his pedigree with many World Champions (Sunrise Samson, Sunrise Admiral, Dominator, Country Liberator, and Country Boy) & Overwhelmer has produced many, many Champions.

We are going to be pretty selective with his breeding the first couple of years, for sure, as we don't want to overload him and to achieve the best possible results. We have many heifers and young cows that are "double-bred" to our other Champion bull NP Redeemer's Redemption, and we expect him to be a great cross on them. The Sunrise breeding crossed with Redemption has already proven to be a great cross.

Ryan

Frankie":3cgob1e9 said:
Ryan, do you do any ultrasounding on your cattle?

No we don't. I would definantly like to start doing stuff like that, though.

If I did want to start ultrasounding, would I need to get my own equipement or would someone else be able to help us out, like the vet?

Ryan":26ri05g6 said:
Frankie":26ri05g6 said:
Ryan, do you do any ultrasounding on your cattle?

No we don't. I would definantly like to start doing stuff like that, though.

If I did want to start ultrasounding, would I need to get my own equipement or would someone else be able to help us out, like the vet?

Do Longhorns have EPDs? Generally the breed association certifies ultrasound technicians and they turn in the data to the assn to help build breed carcass EPDs.

Some vets do it, but today there are lots of techs around that would probably be cheaper than a vet.

I was just curious about what sort of ribeye Longhorns have. If you're just interested for your own information, You probably can find a tech in your area. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can find an Angus-certified tech in your area. I don't know where you are in TX, but the Red River Angus group has several ultrasound programs each year. Members bring their animals all to one place. I'm sure they'd be glad to have you bring your animals, too.

No EPD's for longhorns.

I would be interested in knowing the ribeye area of some of our animals, too. I will talk to my boss and see what he thinks, and might look into it further.

btw we're located in Jacksboro, TX (1hr northwest of Ft. Worth)