central texas cattle lease

Help Support CattleToday:

lostbrd

Reaction score
looking for approx 300 acres, what should I expect to pay? Is it possible to exchange for maintenance ie. fences, barns, etc.
Thanks in advance

$30 an acre for pasture is considered pretty cheap, if you can find it. If you are leasing that much acreage, 300, you might find it. Most folks who lease want to lease to someone they know.

Good luck. One thing in your favor is the timing. Hay people are going broke this year. Too much hay on the market. You just mind find a lease from someone who had to get off of one.

The cost depends on where you are looking. As for facilitites, I don't think it would be good to put a lot of your money into facilities for land you wont own. I guess that's negotiable with whomever you lease.

Repairing fence lines is common practice with a lease,after all you do want to keep your cattle in. Other repairs on the property unless I was going to be useing the facilities I wouldn't advise. Don't know about lease prices.

A lot depends on the property, and how many head it will support and how much $$ you'll have to put into it. Here in central Texas I've seen from $12 an acre to $35.

We pay $15 per acre for the land we rent. Some land isn't even worth that though. Make sure and really inspect the land before you sign anything. I'm in the middle of trying to get out of a lease on 400 acres I signed way too hasitly.

Funny how things vary from region to region.

Down here generally folks don't pay anything for a lease. The property owner pays for fencing material, the cowman provides the labor.

The property owner gets a substantial tax break for maintaining his Ag Excemption and the cowman gets the use of the land.

Generally, no money exchanges hands.

Latest posts