cedar posts? fencing questions for new fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

polkbayou

Reaction score
Hey guys new to forum. Wanting to get started from scratch starting cattle farm. Needing to build all fencing. I have tons of cedar on the property and thought about saving some money and cutting lots of them for posts. Been doing lot of fence building reading on the net. Figure I will use 5 strand barbed wire for the front perimeter where cattle will test it the most. Figured I put tposts every 10 ft. 1.25 or do I need 1.33lb. Anyhow sounds like if I put wooden posts every 50 feet it will make much stronger fence and thought I could use my cedar for that. Was also planning on using cedar for brace posts and how about for the corner posts? When I cut the cedar can I use them then or do they need to go through a curing period? Do they need any pretreatment? Hoping to try to build myself instead of forking out the dough unless all u fence builders think it is wiser to hire someone else? One other question, when fencing through woods is it okay to cut back on number of strands of barbed wire since no grass on other side? Also for cost and time can u use trees for line post and corners if they line up or is than bad idea?
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

A wood post and 3 or 4 t-posts with 5 strands makes a nice fence. I wouldn't hesitate to do 6 stands along roads or some thing.

DO NOT tie to a tree unless you just absolutly have to. That tree could have been there for a 100yrs. Once you wrap a wire around it, first chance it gets... that tree will fall and screw every thing up. :) Get a dozer in there to make you some nice big right-aways for your fence, to drive a truck, and to shred with your tractor. You will be doing repairs, brand new or not. Make sure the fences are easy to get to for checking and repairing. ;-)

For posts fresh cut cedar works fine but not for brace posts. As they dry with the pressure on them they will bow.

dun":3ou75em0 said:
For posts fresh cut cedar works fine but not for brace posts. As they dry with the pressure on them they will bow.
if installing H brace corners I have never had this problem but always have used braces of at least 6" in diameter in size

Cedar is supposed to have a moisture content of around 16% when cut which is alot less than most woods have even after being cut and letting them dry for 6 months to a yr

Make sure the Heart (red part) of the cedar is at least 2/3rds the size of the post

ex 8" post heart needs to be at least 5"

Check with your local ext. agent about fence laws in your state or county.No use to build a nice fence then find out it is not legal from a liability standpoint. :welcome:

I use lot of trees as line and corner post where they are inline with the fence. I have used red cedar post for corner braces using a floating brace set up and had no problem, they are at least 8 inch diameter.

The book will tell you cedar posts last 15 years. I think we will agree that the soil type and the diameter of the post will effect the life. Traditionally cedar was used more in wet low ground applications and the line posts are one rod apart.
I replaced some cedar corner posts recently that were put in by my Grandfather.They had about a 7" top and the centers were just a bunch of dust and black ants. Obviously they lasted a lot longer than 15 years.
Peel them, let the soil settle & the post dry after installation, and then have someone go back to put preservative on the top and at the ground level.

Cedar post is as good as treated timber if it is cut in December in the dark of the moon. Cut the slick streight for post not the trees with the limbs close to the ground. There is a spotted white cedar that wieghs about 3 time the red cedar it will last a life time, but it will burn if fire gets to it. If you want to save money use the trees but you will be repairing fence from the first year it is up. The sap will rust your wire where it is nailed to the tree. Using small trees the wind will make the tree sway and cause your wire to break also as the trees grow it will tighten up the wire and will break. As suggested a wide RW and not trees is best. Cows will not lay next to the fence for shade or wind break this keeps the bull from the fence to and extent.

mtncows":3o0m13pr said:
Check with your local ext. agent about fence laws in your state or county.No use to build a nice fence then find out it is not legal from a liability standpoint. :welcome:

Only liability I know of around these parts is what happens if you don't have an adequate fence to contain cattle.....and one or more get out and cause a major wreck....or if you build it on your neighbor's property. Otherwise no problems.

TexasBred":3ghjigrx said:
mtncows":3ghjigrx said:

Only liability I know of around these parts is what happens if you don't have an adequate fence to contain cattle.....and one or more get out and cause a major wreck....or if you build it on your neighbor's property. Otherwise no problems.
In MO it has to be at least 48 inches high to constitute a legal fence

Copenhagen & Shiner B":34x0d0mc said:
dun":34x0d0mc said:
Do you put fresh cut green red cedars in the ground for post? I have always let them dry/cure for a year before I split them and put them into the ground.
I used to put them in green as posts with no problems, the floating braces were the only thing that gave be problems after 8-10 years. Now I have so much cedar from the icestorm in 2007 I have LOTS of aged cedar.

dun":a46r6q90 said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B":a46r6q90 said:
dun":a46r6q90 said:
Do you put fresh cut green red cedars in the ground for post? I have always let them dry/cure for a year before I split them and put them into the ground.
I used to put them in green as posts with no problems, the floating braces were the only thing that gave be problems after 8-10 years. Now I have so much cedar from the icestorm in 2007 I have LOTS of aged cedar.
Do you split the green cedars? I have never tried to split green cedars(I have always let them dry a year.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":cilitmm6 said:
Do you split the green cedars? I have never tried to split green cedars(I have always let them dry a year.
Don;t split anything, just use them whole