CDL requirements

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you serious? Wonder what the new DMV issued tag will cost us?
I would say the tag want be to bad, but insurance and property taxes can add up. I need to check and see if having insurance on the truck will cover the trailer. JW IN VA alerted me of this. A lot of farm tags on vehicles I wonder if they are used for farm purposes. I would say that is what got it voted in 98-0.

Last edited:
I would say the tag want be to bad, but insurance and property taxes can add up. I need to check and see if having insurance on the truck will cover the trailer. JW IN VA alerted me of this. A lot of farm tags on vehicles I wonder if they are used for farm purposes. I would say that is what got it voted in 98-0.
The problem it creates for many is if you need the farm tag to legally operate without a CDL then whatever you put the tag on becomes illegal for non-farm work. The farm truck cannot be used to drive to the day job. The day job truck cannot be used to pull the farm trailer ( if it's in CDL wieght range)

The proposed cost is $15 and is good for as long as it is on the vehicle. But you cannot change it from one vehicle to another, it is supposed to be turned in when the vehicle is no longer used for farm use or is sold or whatever. Going to be a PITA with all the different vehicles we have and use basically for one purpose.... one truck hooked to the cattle trailer, one used for the flatbed trailer, my little 2 wd ranger that I use in the nicer weather and the 4x4 that I only use for crappy weather or occasionally in mud and stuff...and there is no title for the 4x4...... and we have several trailers that sit for months. Only good thing is everything is OLD....

So can I use the F350 with the 28' cattle trailer to go pick up bulls 200 miles away? The F350 doesn't have Farm tags the Cattle trailer does. I do not have a CDL or any kind of special tag

Yeah we saw this coming, so both my sons went down and got their dmv CDL permits to get grandfathered in. My one son is taking his final test this Saturday. They both got their doubles, triples, hazmat, and a couple others.

So can I use the F350 with the 28' cattle trailer to go pick up bulls 200 miles away? The F350 doesn't have Farm tags the Cattle trailer does. I do not have a CDL or any kind of special tag
Sorry. Technically you need farm tags on the truck even inside the 150 miles. Probably never have a issue but if you do misuse of farm tags is way better than operating without a CDL.

In Michigan a truck with farm plates is able to "transport the farmer or farmers family", ie personal use. And there's no such thing as farm tags for a trailer, we have permanent trailer tags based on the empty weight of the trailer.

My big trailer stays close to home. The tandem deckover and SRW go fetch things far away. If its bigger than I can get on the deckover then I pay someone to haul it. Cheaper to pay someone to haul it than maintain a CDL and all the associated BS that goes along with it for the in-frequent hauling I do.

In Michigan a truck with farm plates is able to "transport the farmer or farmers family", ie personal use. And there's no such thing as farm tags for a trailer, we have permanent trailer tags based on the empty weight of the trailer.

My big trailer stays close to home. The tandem deckover and SRW go fetch things far away. If its bigger than I can get on the deckover then I pay someone to haul it. Cheaper to pay someone to haul it than maintain a CDL and all the associated BS that goes along with it for the in-frequent hauling I do.
Pretty much same way in Texas.
But it's very very clear about you cannot use a farm vehicle for non farm income. That includes transportation to work.

I have insurance on all of my trailers, and through Farm Bureau it doesn't cost me anything for liability on most of them but I have to pay for collision (correct term???) if I don't want to pay repairs out of my own pocket.

The property tax deal is what upsets me. I may or may not have quite a few trailers setting around here that have never been titled for that reason.

DOT gives us a fit already going into KY. They say we need a DOT number no matter the load. The judge throws most of them out but that's a day of going to court.
TN is usually not a problem. I'm 5 miles from TN and haul cattle there all the time. 20 miles from KY avoid KY.
Iowa too. Avoid it like the plague.

Let's write another law to bring in more money. Squashing the middle class a bit more. I remember my dad coming home "proudly" in the early 1970's with a CDL license issued from New York State's DMV. He barely knew how to drive a tractor trailer....they asked him if he knew how to drive a tractor...he said "yes" and they issued him one on the spot. Times have changed.

I have insurance on all of my trailers, and through Farm Bureau it doesn't cost me anything for liability on most of them but I have to pay for collision (correct term???) if I don't want to pay repairs out of my own pocket.

The property tax deal is what upsets me. I may or may not have quite a few trailers setting around here that have never been titled for that reason.
You outlaw I may have to report you to the fuzz!😂😂😂

I titled my Diamond C but didnt tag it for the very reason of cdl. The PP taxes on it was more than the truck I pull it with LOL! It hurt my feelings!

I also have most of mine insured with FB. Liability is an umbrella under tow vehicle most time but I got a few that I keep covered in case I / mother nature do something stupid. It is cheap.

I titled my Diamond C but didnt tag it for the very reason of cdl. The PP taxes on it was more than the truck I pull it with LOL! It hurt my feelings!
Not to mention the 4.15% title tax the state hits you with whenever you title something. They're basically penalizing you for contributing to the economy.

We have several here streching the farm tags on their trucks to the limit and then some. I can see why some of these unpopular laws get written.

These states want more money. If I can find the paperwork for my trailers I have them to title and now pay property taxes annually. If I ever sell them I have to do it anyway. Also I see next all farm equipment being annually taxed, it is property.

Last edited:
A couple of years before I moved out of Washington the state DOT and a brand inspector were at the top of White Pass pulling over every stock trailer. This was on a Thursday which is sale day at the Toppenish sale. They checked for DOT numbers. Per DOT requirements you had to have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and flares or those triangle reflectors. The brand dept requires you to have a haul slip filled out before pulling on to the road. Most people fill them out before unloading at the sale. They were righting tickets for not having any of the listed items.
They did this on week one. I hadn't gone there that week and was told about it by a friend. I made sure I had everything when I went on week 2. They weren't doing it that week. Week 3 they were at it again and I had stayed home. I knew a couple guys who got the ticket for no DOT number. It wasn't a small ticket.
I painted my DOT number on a board. Used some 2x2's fastened to it to fit in the stake pockets. When the trailer was hooked up in put my numbers on. When I unhooked the trailer the DOT number came off.

Latest posts