Hesston 4590 In-line Baler HP Requirements

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
I've Googled, Yahooed & read until I'm half blind & all the way frustrated & I still haven't found the information I need.

So...How many PTO HP does it take to run a Hesston 4590? I need the minimum but if any of you have run one I'll take whatever info you can give me.

Thanks in advance

Not enough. I have a MF 231S 42 PTO HP.

I found my baler (& bought it today) & now trying to match a tractor to it.

My Mother always told me I did things backwards lol

My local dealer has a MF2680HD with 1,400 hrs & Deere 5065E with 300 hrs (both have a FEL) for the same price & I was just wondering if the Deere had enough HP to run the 4590.

No. We have some pretty rugged terrain around here, steep hills & rough fields. The 231S has been a great little tractor for brushogging & digging post holes but I'm afraid mowing & baling hay is just asking too much of it.

I have been planning on getting a new tractor & hay equipment for a few months now anyway. Unfortunately some unforseen circumstances have forced me to start a little earlier than I had intended.

The Deere has a cab & MFWD.

I have no brand loyalty as far as red & green. I'm just trying to get the best tractor I can for my $ and get enough tractor to run the baler safely & comfortably without going needlessly beyond the necessary HP.

In my mind I'm thinking it would be better to have a little too much than not quite enough though. And the MF has 99 engine HP & 83 PTO & I'm leaning toward it.

I agree.

The MF also has a cab & MFWD. I think that's the one I'm gona go with.

Gona sleep on it tonight & make my decision in then morning when I'm a little less tired & a little more clear headed.

As always, thanks for the help SOB!

a cheap tractor that would do that job is a MF 245 or 165.. 165 is 58 engine horse.. no 4wd though, but they are good (old) machines

Nesikep":2raapncn said:
a cheap tractor that would do that job is a MF 245 or 165.. 165 is 58 engine horse.. no 4wd though, but they are good (old) machines

I am still running a 77 with that A4236 Perkins diesel they put in them.
That is one stout old tractor it went through three round balers.

the 165's were known for getting stuck on banana peels, I heard the 245 was better, though it greatly depends on tire choices too

Latest posts