CDL requirements

Help Support CattleToday:

Something I have been wondering about, I have a class B CDL but do I need a Class A to pull a gooseneck trailer?
If your combined gvwr is over the magic# of 26001 yes. Apparently the magic# may be different in some states idk about that.
A class b is a single vehicle license ( school bus, dump truck etc.)

If your combined gvwr is over the magic# of 26001 yes. Apparently the magic# may be different in some states idk about that.
A class b is a single vehicle license ( school bus, dump truck etc.)
Exactly, I doubt but very few here have a class A just to haul cattle or farm related. But seems it's required.
I mentioned KY earlier, if I'm pulling a cattle trailer they require DOT and CDL. If I'm pulling a 30+ft 6 horse with saddle and changing room it's considered recreational and granny can drive it as long as she has a regular driver's license.

This is going to go the way of some of the stupid New England states. You have to have a license from the DMV on a farm tractor if it goes across the road to your field across the street. Snowmobiles have to be licensed..... it is all for taxes and adding to the states coffers. My little 4x4 ranger does not have a title... we have a half a dozen trailers that are covered when they are hooked to our trucks... but FB is limiting the number of vehicles allowed... we have a dump truck that gets used once or twice a year for hauling some gravel or something..... this is getting ridiculous. It will stop all the kids that put farm use on their trucks and then go racing around and no insurance... but we should not have to pay personal property taxes and all on all this stuff every year.....
Guess I will go to jail because I am not going to get a CDL at this age to drive the cattle truck and trailer moving stuff from one pasture to another or taking a few head to town to the sale. License the truck/trailer with DMV farm use okay...and we carry insurance just because.... but a CDL now?????

My little 4x4 ranger does not have a title... we have a half a dozen trailers that are covered when they are hooked to our trucks... but FB is limiting the number of vehicles allowed...
Get your agent to swap you over to a commercial (fleet) policy, if they haven't already.

Something I have been wondering about, I have a class B CDL but do I need a Class A to pull a gooseneck trailer?
Yes like Fence said if it is over 26,000 GVW and the trailer is more than 10k# of that then you need a class A. Class B is for straight chassis vehicles class A is for combination.

I agree it is stupid a 70 year old can drive one of those big charter bus RVs with no CDL but soon a lot of these farmers will need it. The way around it and the big key is in the GVW as Fence has pointed out many times. I have a F350 with passenger tags on it for a reason.

Just another example of regulations that turn the working class into criminals while true criminals are not prosecuted for their crimes of theft, looting, drug dealing and prostitution.
Why you gotta single out prostitues J ?? Poor girls just tryin' ta make a livin' :)

I agree with ya tho. When they be nice me up the arse enough me an my developer bro will slap 50 houses on my 140 acres buy a 50 footer and sail to the islands laughing all the way listening to them whining about lost open space...

Treating me pretty good so far tho. They know I have a hot shot developer bro and they leave a alone....

Does anyone have a link to the actual law? I read that article yesterday and after reading these comments I think the article is missing a lot of key information.

I know one thing - I can't afford to get a CDL, I cannot justify the expense for something that might happen 2-3 times a year, Texas is a big state and driving more than 150 miles to get something or deliver something is a very routine thing.

New CDL Requirements Take Effect Monday and Could Cost You Up to $8,500 and Weeks of Training

New federal requirements for a commercial drivers license (CDL) take hold Monday, and it could have a major impact on anything from hauling grain or livestock to picking up a piece of equipment that's more than 150 miles from your farm.

According to the Illinois Fertilizer and Chemical Association (ILFA), the new requirements could have a major impact on the movement of inputs. The Association says the new requirements mean an entry-level driver must successfully complete a prescribed program on theory and behind-the-wheel instruction provided by a school or other entity listed on FMCSA's Training Provider Registry, all prior to taking the CDL test.

"No longer will be the days of obtaining a learner's permit, driving with a CDL holder for as little as a few hours and then taking the CDL road test," says ILFA. "This new process will become more detailed and will take more time than the previous CDL process."

"For agriculture, it will really be the same impact as the transportation industry. If you need to obtain a CDL, it's more hoops to jump through. With the shortage of drivers already existing, adding in the new requirement will deter drivers from getting into transportation, further decreasing the pool of CDL drivers," says Kelly Krapu, safety director for True North Compliance Services in West Fargo, N.D., a company that helps trucking companies and drivers navigate rules and regulations on the road.

New CDL Requirements
Starting Monday, Feb. 7, anyone obtaining an entry level CDL, will be required to obtain a higher level of training. According to the new ELDT regulations, the new training will be required for anyone:

• seeking a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time
  • upgrading an existing Class B CDL to Class A CDL
  • obtaining a first-time school bus (S), passenger (P) or hazardous materials (H) endorsement.
With the changes, to either obtain a Class B or A, or upgrade from a Class B to a Class A:

• Drivers will be required to obtain training (theory and behind-the wheel) PRIOR to taking the CDL knowledge test for a commercial learner's permit (CLP)
  • Training must be provided by an entity or individual listed on the FMCSA's Training Provider Registry
  • The State Driver Licensing Agency will be required to verify training has been completed before allowing the driver to proceed to the next step (this is done via electronic records uploaded by the trainer)
  • If a new driver presents to the State Licensing Bureau without training, they will be turned away
Prior to Feb. 7, in order to get a CDL, applicants had to do the following:

• Obtain a medical certificate (if required for your operation there are some exemptions)
  • Complete the CDL application and pay state fee
  • Provide proof of identity
  • Pass knowledge test
  • Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) issued
  • Use CLP in a commercial vehicle with another CDL holder until comfortable (minimum waiting time varies by state)
  • Return to State Licensing Bureau for road test – pass the road test
  • Issued a CDL (class of license depends on test taken and vehicle used)
According to Krapu, the changes will be costly, not only in terms of money but also time.

"These classes range from $2,500 to $8,500, depending on the trainer, and can take from 3 days to 20 days depending on the individuals experience," she says.

Krapu says farmers are exempt from CDL requirements as long as they stay within a 150-air-mile radius of their farm operation. However, there are some areas of which Krapu says farmers should take note.

"If a farmer who is located in Ellendale, N.D., wants to drive their one ton pick-up with a flat bed trailer to pick up a new tractor for their farm in Omaha, Neb., they would be subject to regulations because they are outside the 150 miles from their operation and all federal transportation regulations would then apply, including needing a CDL to go get the new tractor in Nebraska," says Krapu.

New CDL Requirements Could * Truck Driving Industry

Krapu says as she helps drivers navigate the new regulations, she worries it's going to be yet another barrier for an industry already facing a shortage of truck drivers nationwide.

"It is going to impact driver shortages at a time of critical supply issues and at a time where the transportation industry is already facing a large number of driver shortages," she says.

So, what happens if a driver doesn't follow the new regulations? Krapu says if you're outside the 150-mile radius, there are repercussions to consider.

"If the driver is operating outside the 150-air-mile 'safe zone' of the farm operation, law enforcement will request valid CDL and the truck/driver will put out-of-service until a qualified driver can come drive the truck to its destination," she says.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link to the actual law? I read that article yesterday and after reading these comments I think the article is missing a lot of key information.

I know one thing - I can't afford to get a CDL, I cannot justify the expense for something that might happen 2-3 times a year, Texas is a big state and driving more than 150 miles to get something or deliver something is a very routine thing.
I found a document from the folks at Texas DPS. There's a line in there that Intrastate farmers are exempt from the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations if the vehicle or combination of vehicles is less than 48,000 pounds. My brother-in-law is a License and Weight Trooper with DPS. Waiting on a reply from him to get his thoughts.

I found a document from the folks at Texas DPS. There's a line in there that Intrastate farmers are exempt from the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations if the vehicle or combination of vehicles is less than 48,000 pounds. My brother-in-law is a License and Weight Trooper with DPS. Waiting on a reply from him to get his thoughts.

Thank you! I'll be looking for word from you on this. The publication you provided was last updated in 2019.

Thank you! I'll be looking for word from you on this. The publication you provided was last updated in 2019.
I asked if the Intrastate ruling about gross weight up to 48K with a farm tag and no CDL required applied to me hauling my equipment or cattle, picking up supplies, etc. for my farm. Here's his answer:
"That is correct. As long as you are not in commerce (for hire to others), you are good up to 48,000 pounds with a farm tag without a CDL. Always make sure it's for the farm when asked questions. Also there is a mileage restriction of 150 air miles from home farm but we don't really worry about that. We're more interested in catching the commercial haulers that are on the highway."

I asked if the Intrastate ruling about gross weight up to 48K with a farm tag and no CDL required applied to me hauling my equipment or cattle, picking up supplies, etc. for my farm. Here's his answer:
"That is correct. As long as you are not in commerce (for hire to others), you are good up to 48,000 pounds with a farm tag without a CDL. Always make sure it's for the farm when asked questions. Also there is a mileage restriction of 150 air miles from home farm but we don't really worry about that. We're more interested in catching the commercial haulers that are on the highway."
Notice he correctly stated Intrastate. Meaning in state only.

Latest posts