CB, a good coat for damp, cold weather.

Help Support CattleToday:

I have two Carhartt coats. One with blanket lining that I wear the most and one with a quilted lining that is a lot warmer (it only gets worn in real cold weather). If money isn't an object and you want to stay warm and dry take a look at a Filson Packer coat. The shell is waxed heavy canvas material and it has a wool liner. They cost about 3 or 4 times what Carhartt will but they will keep you warm and dry no matter what Mother Nature tosses at you. I have worn and worn out lots of Filson clothing. They do wear like iron and are most likely over kill for the majority of people. But for those who spend there entire life out in that nasty weather they are well worth the money.

Alan":sy5gu0xa said:
Workinonit Farm":sy5gu0xa said:
I'm not CB, but I second your rave reviews on Carharrt's! I've been using them for winter work coats for at least 17 years. LOVE them! Warm and dry in rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain. I even have a Carharrt coveralls/jumpsuit (all one piece). I would be lost, in the winter, without it all. And for a topper, I have a great rabbit fur Bomber hat. :)

Sorry, but I'm having a real hard time believing you........ I think we need a picture of you in your carhartt coveralls and the rabbit fur bomber hat. :mrgreen:

Well, with the frigid weather that seems to be heading our way in the next few days, you just may get your wish! ;-) On my Facebook page, my profile pic, I'm wearing one of my Carharrt coats. ;-)

Deepsouth":3m5sg3d5 said:
M-5":3m5sg3d5 said:
Workinonit Farm":3m5sg3d5 said:
If you get one, you'll never go back to the others. :)
I've owned 3 in last 30 yrs. Still wear first one its faded bit does its job , it got faded from hanging on a fence post for 3 mths I took it off working and forget where I left it till I found it. It's tattered and torn some but works.

How on earth can you lose a jacket hanging on a fence post on a hobby farm for three months?

Lol
Us hoppy guys get no respect.
You don't have to be a BTO lose stuff, hobby guys get old and forgetful too :D

Alan":fffv2fxq said:
TexasBred":fffv2fxq said:
Good coats. I've been wearing them for years too an am still wearing my 2nd one. Seems like the older more ragged they get the better they feel.

X2, wish when my wife see's me in an old one she felt the same. :lol:

I am on my third one in 25 years. My first one has most of the sleeves wore out up to the mid-forearm. Still using it for a truck coat. It has saved my hide many times when I end up out working later than I intended.

Dave":1kqcjwdp said:
I have two Carhartt coats. One with blanket lining that I wear the most and one with a quilted lining that is a lot warmer (it only gets worn in real cold weather). If money isn't an object and you want to stay warm and dry take a look at a Filson Packer coat. The shell is waxed heavy canvas material and it has a wool liner. They cost about 3 or 4 times what Carhartt will but they will keep you warm and dry no matter what Mother Nature tosses at you. I have worn and worn out lots of Filson clothing. They do wear like iron and are most likely over kill for the majority of people. But for those who spend there entire life out in that nasty weather they are well worth the money.
You got that right on Filson. I gave my wife that catalog and said if somebody asks (few do) what I want for Christmas show them that catalog. Top of the line stuff, and a lot of it US made.

I have a heavy quilted Carhartt coat. I love it. I like their jeans too.

Alan":vptn1cdl said:
JW IN VA":vptn1cdl said:
M-5":vptn1cdl said:
http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-outerwear/Sandstone-Detroit-Jacket-Blanket-Lined-J97

Also check out the origional chore coat.You might find a deal at Sierra Trading Post.Lots of other places are having sales now.

Just for variety, this is the one I've worn for the past several years. Cold, windy days got to have the hood, especially if there's wind blown rain. Ball cap keeps the hood out my eyes.

http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhar ... Lined-J140
I have the J140 that they were making for Cabela's. Used it in coldest weather here for 15 years. Best all around cold weather coat I ever had.Was $55.00 when I got it :D

Carhartts are THE BEST! I have two. One is the jacket with the thermal lining (more of a lightweight, cool-weather jacket, and the other is the "Jackson" model with the sherpa lining for COLD weather. And yes, I realize that COLD in West Texas is probably not the same as COLD in Minnesota.

And they make them for working - plenty of shoulder room for when you are using an ax or a shovel.

I have an old one that I would still wear except somebody shrunk it and it don't fit anymore *sucking in my gut so nobody will notice*

CowboyBlue":3tnyw389 said:
Carhartts are THE BEST! I have two. One is the jacket with the thermal lining (more of a lightweight, cool-weather jacket, and the other is the "Jackson" model with the sherpa lining for COLD weather. And yes, I realize that COLD in West Texas is probably not the same as COLD in Minnesota.

And they make them for working - plenty of shoulder room for when you are using an ax or a shovel.

I have an old one that I would still wear except somebody shrunk it and it don't fit anymore *sucking in my gut so nobody will notice*

As I stated earlier I have two Carhartt coats and I wear them regularly. But I would disagree that they are the BEST. If you want the best you buy Filson. Their motto for well over a century has been "You might as well have the best." They got their start making clothes for men going up north on the Alaskan gold rush. They have built their business around a reputation for the best quality possible. Come up to the northwest and ask men who work out in the weather everyday.

Dave":2za4pqat said:
CowboyBlue":2za4pqat said:

As I stated earlier I have two Carhartt coats and I wear them regularly. But I would disagree that they are the BEST. If you want the best you buy Filson. Their motto for well over a century has been "You might as well have the best." They got their start making clothes for men going up north on the Alaskan gold rush. They have built their business around a reputation for the best quality possible. Come up to the northwest and ask men who work out in the weather everyday.

Dave with respect, for the bang for the buck Carhartt I feel is the best, keeps me warm and dry for about $60 for 3 to 5 years use..... depending on my work load and weather. I have a Carhartt that is rated to something like -40 f and water proof. I have worn it two or three time, makes me way too hot great coat, but way too much for our area unless I'm doing an all day in 18 degrees....... with luck I'll never need it. :lol:

Workinonit Farm":r7etgurb said:
I'm not CB, but I second your rave reviews on Carharrt's! I've been using them for winter work coats for at least 17 years. LOVE them! Warm and dry in rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain. I even have a Carharrt coveralls/jumpsuit (all one piece). I would be lost, in the winter, without it all. And for a topper, I have a great rabbit fur Bomber hat. :)
Hate wearing the coveralls. Just about the time you get going willy decides he needs out. Time you fish him out he has also started. Warm at first butt then gets really cold.

Alan":q40scjx9 said:
Workinonit Farm":q40scjx9 said:

Sorry, but I'm having a real hard time believing you........ I think we need a picture of you in your carhartt coveralls and the rabbit fur bomber hat. :mrgreen:

You'll find it in the thread about "I don't know how you all do it", here in the coffee shop. ;-)

hurleyjd":27r71a6f said:
Workinonit Farm":27r71a6f said:
Hate wearing the coveralls. Just about the time you get going willy decides he needs out. Time you fish him out he has also started. Warm at first butt then gets really cold.

That is the one downside, when nature calls. ;-)

Latest posts