Caustic was right....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":3d45y3n9 said:
Kingfisher":3d45y3n9 said:
What exactly do you mean by all this? I'm curious because I keep asking folks like accountants what the deal is with health insurance
and employees today. I heard there is a tax credit of @8500.00 per employee but not sure what sort of health insurance provisions must be met today. What sort of fines are you speaking of? Thanks in advance.

Its simply a fine (tax) you have to pay for each employee you hire. I have to do it each year but this is the first year I had to go out of my way and have an affidavit signed swearing that I am an AMERICAN. This just wasted two hours of my day getting this done but I'm sure this all has something to do with their collecting statistics to show how good a job homeland security is doing keeping illegals out of the country or something.

As for the health insurance deal I can't get any good answers on this either but there was a seminar this summer and I can tell you what they said there. First of all, if you hire a person and this person works more than 30 days you must offer them health insurance and if you refuse to do so you will be fined $600 per employee. More importantly, the definition of an employee is anyone who works more than 30 days which INCLUDES contract laborers or illegals. As for the illegals, all new employees must be checked through a form you can get through Homeland Security but to do it right there is a three inch book you can study to be sure you do it properly but you might need to hire an attorney to muddle through this thing. But in summary, the homeland security check list says you must employ anyone who can offer you two forms of ID which includes a drivers license and a social security card and failing to hire them due to their apparent illegality or race, creed, sexual orientation will result in a discrimination suit and fine. Additionally you can also use E-verify to check the documents. This is the government's check site but it is wrong 27% of the time and if you do not hire someone based on erroneous data then you can get in trouble for discrimination. However if you do hire an illegal then you will face a fine and the second offence could lead to them shutting down your business. Oh, if an insurance company refuses to insure you they will be fined $100 per day. That's about all I got out of the meeting.

Thanks for your reply. And just who exactly enforces all this ?

Kingfisher":hsc4tex9 said:
And just who exactly enforces all this ?

That's a good question and I really can't say for sure but can give you some examples of what I've seen and my opinion of how the enforcement works. In the event you hire an illegal alien who has false documents the IRS will send you a warning letter that the name or the social security number is erroneous. If this is not a clerical mistake then you are told to deduct money from their check and fill out a bunch of forms or easier yet fire them. Once they receive the money the the problem is solved and you don't hear anything else as long as you continue paying into the ficticious account. If you are hiring a bunch of workers and many of them have false papers you will probably be fined. The fine is severe. I know a guy that had to pay $600,000 in penalties but none of the workers were exported. If and when the press starts shaking the cage in DC you can bet that ICE is going to come out of hiding and make an example of someone. This will get a lot of press coverage and a business will probably be shut down or go bankrupt due to the fines and the workers will have to find another job. (this recently happened in this area) Bottom line is its about money collection in my opinion. The DOL, DR and IRS all have a stake in this and it is a windfall for them to collect taxes from people who will never be able to collect. ICE is a joke to me as I've seen them do nothing but enjoy their lunch beside tables full of illegals unless there are news cameras filming them. Next time I see something like this I'll snap a picture of it so you can see what I'm talking about. Bottom line is the employer that has the money and this is all they seem to want. That's just my opinion based on what I've seen.

I know a lot of companies get around all the paperwork by supplying skilled labor to a temp service, and then hiring those "temp" workers. Especially for seasonal work. Have you looked into a payroll company. That may be another way around some of the paperwork.
I agree ICE is a joke. Down here they only tell you that if the supply 2 forms of I'd then you have done your job as ICE is concerned. And your also right, its about revenue since they can't collect. The only thing is that as long as the illegals are paying in, they're doing far more than the cash under the table illegals who are only taking advantage of free heathcare, schools, food stamps, etc. I know in AZ there was talk of shutting down a bunch of schools when they passed the bill allowing cops to ask for proof of citizenship. They were concerned so many illegals were going to leave that there wouldn't be enough legal students to keep schools full.true story

It seems to be they are not doing what we pay them to do and they just put more and more burdens on the employers. Finding help is no problem but finding good help is tough. Finding good help that doesn't mind working in the elements is even tougher. This is where we get into trouble with the illegals because these people haven't been able to get on the government dole yet or don't have an unemployment check that would get cut off if they got a job.

To give a good example. In 1994, a friend of mine's brother-n-law had a union job but the plant cut the work load to three days a week. I overheard him complaining about how he had a family to feed and he couldn't make it on this amount so I offered him a job in the two days he had off plus Saturday. I let him work right alongside me as we did some work. The first day he earned $200 and the second he earned $250 but he quit after this because he said he was above doing that type of work. He77, I was doing it every day and in 94 this was a lot of money and I was pleased to do it. Oh well. His plant eventually closed and moved to Mexico. Don't know what he's doing now but with his attitude I'm sure its not much.

During the boom, I had my dad, brother, BIL, neighbor all working for me at different times. Fired each one for one reason or another.yes, even my dad. I got tired of babysitting them, and decided I could handle it myself. Worked 72-96 hrs a week for a year. Bout killed me, but I know what you mean by good help. 250/day was good money, and now I know people that would kill for that pay, but no one wants to work for it

hooknline":1zu4hm7x said:
Fired each one for one reason or another.yes, even my dad.

I had to laugh at that one. I have hired and fired my brother probably 15 times. Not because he is not a good worker, but because he was determined to do something just the opposite of how I wanted it done. He and I get along fine we just can't work together. If he needed a job today, I would rather do it myself and give him the money, than put up with the aggravation.

Yep, exactly. Too many stubborn heads, and only 1 boss..guess who hits the road???? ;)

Latest posts