cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

DPANTOJA

Reaction score
I am having a problem on what breed to pick. I like charolais and Angus can anyone give me any suggestions.

what would be a good cross with charolais or with angus? Wich one would be a better breed to start a hurd with.

Some of the most grouchy cattle I have ever seen are the charolais. Might want to consider the disposition when you are deciding which breed to choose.

Dub

DoubleK":1rzp09dy said:
Some of the most grouchy cattle I have ever seen are the charolais. Might want to consider the disposition when you are deciding which breed to choose.

Dub
I may a bit biased on Char but I have quite a few and they have an excellent disposition. Of course I work with them a lot so that may have something to do with it, but I really enjoy the breed. As far as what to cross with it kind of depends on what sells in your area. I have had excellent results with a Red Angus/Gelbvieh composite bull. You'll typically get tan and red calves that have a lot of vigor and growth.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1kvrifdg said:
Murray Grey would be an excellent choice for you.... ;-) :cboy:

Murray Greys are good troublefree cattle. When I saw this post, I figured you guys would throw your hat in. :D

DPANTOJA":3pqhkliv said:
what would be a good cross with charolais or with angus? Wich one would be a better breed to start a hurd with.

We've had some Red Angus/Char. cross calves that have been really good (other than not handling the cold too well - not much of a problem where you are).
If I were you looking for a cross I would go either Red Angus/Hereford or Black Angus/Hereford depending on what sells best in your area.

Why not go for a drive and ask a few folks that raise them in the area you are planning to keep your new herd?

Bez!

DPANTOJA":28rre8t5 said:

Charolais crossed with either Angus or Red Angus are very popular with lots of people. Hereford would cross well with any of those three.

See what is selling in the area? Depends on what you want to do w/ the offspring, are you gonna run a terminal operation or do you plan on retaining some of your heifers?

I know Arizona is made up of different types of weather conditions, if you're in northern arizona I would say angus, charolais, or cross-breed the two. If further south w/grass maybe a touch of ear (brangus) w/ a charolais bull or (brafords) w/ an angus bull. Just my opinion.

i live in AZ, attend sales on weekly basis, there are some char crosses but mostly angus, herford , brangus and crosses of all three are the better sellers at the barns i go to,
do not see a lot of murry grey,beefmaster, or such go thru the barn.
QT is right weather can be very diverse here.
depending on your area be prepared to BUY hay. if i can help pm me

In warmer climates, I can't imagine a better choice than Brangus.

As you move North, then some other breeds can make sense. Across the lower states, I can't see how you could ever be wrong going with Brangus.

In AZ i wouldnt even know were to start to recommend a breed. but one with low maintenace great feet and legs and heat tolerant. hey that does sound like brangus dont it ;-)

Latest posts