cattle wateres

Help Support CattleToday:

Is it froze in the waterer or coming into it? Keeping rock up to the level of the pad really helps, we add about every other year. We have 5 mirafount this morning all where good and had to kick the balls in one of them. It was -2 this morning. Had to take one apart a few years ago. Say that and they will all be froze solid in morning.

thanks by now it is probably all frozen. started with just the balls then then the whole tank froze. by now the feed line is probably frozen. we had *2 this morning but the neighbor over the ridge had -7*

We have 3 that are froze. No water coming up into it now. These are on some rented land where the owners went the whole "do it this way route" with the soil conservation guys or whatever they are called now. Gotta fence out all the possible little streams and creeks. So D@#%$d sick of this political correctness crap. They are fine when they work, but no one seems to really realize that we really do get ZERO temps here and they can last for days on end. The big round concrete water troughs may not be quite as "EFFICIENT" as these water saver ones, but you can bust the ice and the spring fed ones just run right in and right out again. Float some salt water bottles and they stay open longer. Got clogged up waterways now with all sorts of tree/brush crap, and if we get some serious rain, it will all go roaring through there and take fences and all. Plus the deer are hanging out and they like to tear up fences and the coyotes have found that they are good places to hang out for all the pest wildlife that are inhabiting them. I don't like to see creek banks all broken down, but this fence everything out and have to drill wells and then have to have electricity to run the pumps, and the springs that are "improved" and the wildlife that gets excluded from these fountains with the balls just sets me off. And They freeze in these temps we are having.

We are paying 7 different electric bills at places to run well pumps to water cattle that could just as easily be getting water from natural creeks, with a little work to keep them from "ruining the creek banks" but oh no, that is not the conservation way to do it........ :devil2: :bang: :bs: :secret:

negative here everyday for days now.. -14 this morning. I had to break 2" of ice off my colbett waterers. love those things.

Mirafonts are great troughs, but they need to be used. If not they will surely freeze solid. I have one up the valley that is froze now because of non use. I always wondered if putting a small siphon line out of the tank and down the hill a ways would be enough to keep it thawed.
I suppose if I really wanted to get it going I could put a parachute over it and turn a herman nelson on it for a day or two....

Ours is a Mirafount, and we pulled the balls out a few years ago. It has been colder than ever (records breaking), and it is still flowing. We have about 30 cows and many calves on that system, so they are keeping the water moving. On the coldest morning (about -7), it had a thin layer of ice on the top on the side the cows were not using, but still liquid.
When we first put it in 10 years ago, it froze that winter, but we only had a few cows at that time. SO use is IMPORTANT.

TennesseeTuxedo":1yqpswl3 said:
ddd75":1yqpswl3 said:
negative here everyday for days now.. -14 this morning. I had to break 2" of ice off my colbett waterers. love those things.

Where in the Commonwealth was it -14 degrees this morning?
TT, we (in NW WI) have been in the negatives since 6pm Friday. Finally hit single digits above about mid-day today. They are saying we may be in the 20s this weekend... definitely looking forward to ditching the jacket to do chores!

Boot Jack Bulls":lohfevi5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":lohfevi5 said:
ddd75":lohfevi5 said:

TT, we (in NW WI) have been in the negatives since 6pm Friday. Finally hit single digits above about mid-day today. They are saying we may be in the 20s this weekend... definitely looking forward to ditching the jacket to do chores!

That's a real heat wave you got coming! Enjoy!

TennesseeTuxedo":i6vmsfe9 said:
ddd75":i6vmsfe9 said:

ddd is not in KY. He is now over in Ohio. It was -7 here yesterday. Probably up where he is, it was -14

I have the Ritchie double stainless steel basin that has a heating element under each basin. Thermostat set to kick on at 40 F. Has been in continuous use since 2011. Not a single issue. Only maintenance has been normal cleaning. I have reset the float a couple or three times.

Bright Raven":izdhpajv said:
TennesseeTuxedo":izdhpajv said:
ddd75":izdhpajv said:

ddd is not in KY. He is now over in Ohio. It was -7 here yesterday. Probably up where he is, it was -14

Wonder why he doesn't change his location then?

I have two Mirafounts and have no trouble with them. I have this wind turbine on a pond and it does an amazing job. Been there for years. Leave it in the pond year around to keep it protected from being pushed around.

D2Cat":k633d3pr said:
I have two Mirafounts and have no trouble with them. I have this wind turbine on a pond and it does an amazing job. Been there for years. Leave it in the pond year around to keep it protected from being pushed around.

it just keeps the water moving a little bit?

The center shaft (at the bottom) has basically a lawn mower blade about 8 inches under the water. It continually brings up the warmer water and keeps the area open.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1fm7zv1w said:
Ours is a Mirafount, and we pulled the balls out a few years ago. It has been colder than ever (records breaking), and it is still flowing. We have about 30 cows and many calves on that system, so they are keeping the water moving. On the coldest morning (about -7), it had a thin layer of ice on the top on the side the cows were not using, but still liquid.
When we first put it in 10 years ago, it froze that winter, but we only had a few cows at that time. SO use is IMPORTANT.

Have you had better luck without the balls in the tank? Do you then have to bust ice or is it normally clear? Yesterday it was -3 and the balls were froze to the tank but a cow could have pushed them down. Day before when it was colder the balls were froze and even the valve was stuck.

Latest posts