Cattle Tracking Spreadsheets

Help Support CattleToday:

Circle M

Reaction score
Hello all,

Did a search on what people are using for tracking their herds. Good info and lots of leads but a good many say they use excel. Would anyone be interested in sharing how they set up the excel sheets and what information they are tracking?

Thanks

Getting started...

Welcome to CT

I have the following for each calf
DOB, tag#, RFID#, a unique number that is sequential, sex, twin, in stock or not, birthweight, weaning weight, whether I kept it as a replacement, cull date, sire, dam, what generation they are compared to my original bunch of cows, and then a whole bunch of statistical ones.. like how many calves it's had, how many calves it and all it's offspring have had, average age at culling, and my own formula for scoring them on a scale from 1-100, which values cows that live long, productive lives over short lived cows, and adds half the sum of it's offspring's score

Thanks for the responses!

Is there anyway to get a copy of Cattle Max without the monthly cost?

Circle M":31k54g4q said:
Thanks for the responses!

Is there anyway to get a copy of Cattle Max without the monthly cost?
Other than thr online version there isn;t anymore. Even if you could get it you couldn;t use it becausethe site for activating it has been removed. They do have a 30 day free trial period for the online version.

Later today I will post some screen shots and a tutorial. I pay 100 bucks a year and in no way affiliated with them. Their product is that good in my opinion, for what I do. Free trial is great but u need to use it to get full picture.

M-5":1bjjrr0u said:
Later today I will post some screen shots and a tutorial. I pay 100 bucks a year and in no way affiliated with them. Their product is that good in my opinion/u], for what I do. Free trial is great but u need to use it to get full picture.

I agree whole heartedly. I've been using their prodcut for 15 years or more and don;t really have any complaints. I'm still using the desktop version not the online version. Too old to change just for the sake of change.

Ok here is my spiel on cattlemax. I used paper and excel for several years and it served it purpose. I tried CM last year I imputed a few cows and all info on them their calves , sale prices, the whole history I had on them. After I got a few done and selected that animal to evaluate I was sold on the product. It gives you a statiscal picture of your animals. No searching, no calculator , no guessing. The following pics are just a fraction of what it can do and I'm sure others can add to this.
.I selected this cow 16 and this is how I have her info listed.

Here is her data all her calves her post partum as so forth.

I selected one of her calves and this is her DATA.
It's pretty daunting getting everything in but once it's their its simple. I make notes when I see cows bulling after another cycle and no bulling I go back in and plug in date she was bred. It then gives you alerts when she is due. Just yesterday I had a cow I was expecting to calve had a calf . i found her with a new one I pulled out my phone snapped a pic added calf to her while back in the pasture. Again I'm not an expert and have no affiliation but its worth 100 bucks a year. It simplifies record keeping and any device that you can access Internet you have your records.

I'm one of the ones that uses Excel. I set it up with a separate file for each pasture, and each file contains:

1. One page for each year with a row for each cow in the pasture, with columns for her tag number, calving date, calf's sex, calf's sire, calf's tag number, date sold or weaned, weight, price per pound, total sale price, and calving date last year. The last column really isn't necessary, but then I can tell at a glance how each cow calved in relation to the year before. Each year I make a copy of the previous year's sheet, change the sheet name to the current year, delete everything about the last calf except calving date, move that information into the "last year calving date" column, and it's ready to enter the calving information for the current year.

2. One page for each cow or bull. It has tag number, sire, dam, birth date, breed, and, if it was bought, date and cost. There is also a row for the animal's location, with a new row added each time it's moved. Next is a space for miscellaneous informaion. For cows I have a chart below that listing her calving history. After entering that information in the sheet from 1 above I copy and paste each row to this chart. When I move an animal, I move their page to the appropriate file. I also have a folder for "Sold Cows", with a file for each year. If I sell a cow her page gets moved into the file for that year, after entering the date and amount of the sale.

3. One page for general pasture history, such as when I first started using it, when I mowed or sprayed, worked cattle, etc. I'm afraid I don't always enter all the information into this column that I should, but at least it's there.

I also save this to the cloud (I use OneDrive), so it's accessible from my laptop or phone. I know some folks, especially those with registered animals, have much more extensive records, but this seems to work for me.

M-5,

You have to use an internet connection to use the program? Where I am that isn't possible for the time being.

Rafter - S

Good info!

Thanks

+1 on Cattlemax. The problem with spreadsheets is you have to dig through several years to get performance for one cow. As far as working offline, you can run a report to write on or download into a spreadsheet. That's how I do it. It's so handy to be able to find info using my phone.

http://www.cattlemax.com/classes

I could do a more detailed explanation on how I use it but that would not be what everyone else uses. their support is top notch.

I try and Print reports once a month so I have a hard copy of info that if for some unknown reason such as a (EMP) and all electronics are rendered useless I have a backup to start a leger. But somehow I don't think that will be first priority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ebViXNiLKk

here is 1 hr 45 min utube Video from a webinar

Send me your email if you want to and I'll email you my Excel sheet that we use. I just looked at several online versions and made up my own.

lucky7chief":15kqiog3 said:
+1 on Cattlemax. The problem with spreadsheets is you have to dig through several years to get performance for one cow. As far as working offline, you can run a report to write on or download into a spreadsheet. That's how I do it. It's so handy to be able to find info using my phone.
Why would you have to dig thru several years to get that? We have all that performance info on the cow's sheet with her averages.

Latest posts