cattle temperment

Help Support CattleToday:

kjones

Reaction score
Im new to the boards, but visited a few times. A couple of years ago I took over the care of a small family herd of mixed breed cattle.( seven grown five calves) The grown cattle are due to be slaughtered. Ive been thinking about starting fresh. I have heard that Pinzgauers are a good beef cattle. My concerns are about temperment, ease of handling, and respect for fencing. Anyone have experience with them?

I have a few and the temperment of ours is great. Very close to a hereford in my book. As far as continentals go, they're very laid back compared to some of the others. We've crossed them with hereford and angus with good results.

My complaints are lack of acceptance at the salebarn and the breed association in general sucks. Very little useful information is available compared to other breeds. Seems all they want to do is promote show animals. It's a shame because I feel like they have some good attributes to bring to the beef market.

cfpinz

We only have three, show heifer's, they are all gentle. One we bought was already halter broke, the other two were not, but, it was nothing to halter break them. The one that was already broke, everybody jokes that she is a dog in a heifer suit.

We are kinda worried about the coloring thing at the salebarn for their offspring later in life, but, are hoping that we can do ok. As long as my son is showing and there is a market for show heifer's, then, we will AI them to Pinz. bulls.

We read some information that stated that the Pinzgauer beef is better than the Angus. If I can find it, I'll post a link. It was some universities. I can't even remember which ones.

As far as the association. I think it's just small and doesn't promote as much as the bigger breeds. Like some other breed association's it needs to replace some of the people in it. ;-)

mom

TxSimbrahShower":3meacptw said:
We read some information that stated that the Pinzgauer beef is better than the Angus. If I can find it, I'll post a link. It was some universities. I can't even remember which ones.

mom

Please find that quote so we can sue their butts off!!

Those Universities, they are all the same.

:lol: :lol:

TxSimbrahShower":wliosub8 said:
We read some information that stated that the Pinzgauer beef is better than the Angus. If I can find it, I'll post a link. mom

I bought some at the sales barn becasue the price was right. They were hardy - - had to be because I could not be some of them back into the chute. Also gave us a run when it was time to pen and load them out... You cann't judge a breed by buying surplus animals at a sales barn, but if you buy a discounted animal and sell it as a discounted animal then you are not as profitable as you could be!

I have had a few pinzgauers. About 15 years ago, I bought 11 cows that had been starved in a drought and got them for under 300 bucks per cow. They gave alot of milk, they were gentle, when bred to a charlois bull they raised a high dollar, huge yellow calf. They were 3-5 when I bought them and they all lasted until 15 years old or older. I would give anything to have some more like those. At the salesbarns in the last 7 or 8 years, I have bought them when they were available, but some of them were culls, and some of them were real good. I like them.

We raise full blood pinzgauer cattle and pinzgauer cross commercial cattle. The breed as a whole is a very docile animal but with any breed you can have one that forgot to read the manual where it says they are supposed to be gentle :D I have never had a problem with any of our cattle tearing down fences. in as far as handling goes get a couple bags of feed and you can get them to go anyplace you want. We also cross them with some angus cattle. you want to talk about a tender cut of meat it will just melt in your mouth.

mike

We raise Purebred and Fullblood Pinzgauers for breeding stock and have very few problems with them. Our herd size topped out at a little over 100 head and we have since cut back. We have a 4 strand perimeter fence and only a single electric smooth wire between grazing pastures. Other than the calves walking under it once in a while or someone leaving a gate open, we have no trouble with fencing...we have more trouble keeping our neighbors Angus bull out!!! :mad: As for temperment, we often have buyers that go out into the main herd in the field with no problems at all...I might ad that the bull is in with the herd at all times. They love to have a scratch and maybe a treat(alfalfa pellets). Once in a great while you get a spooky heifer but that's not the norm. Our kids have shown cattle since they were 11. Imagine a scrawny 11 year old with a 1500 lb steer, looks pretty impressive in the show ring.

We run our cattle through a tub/chute system with no problems. Low stress for us and them. We don't have any issues with a sale barn, because we never have any left to ship! We found with the quality of the meat and breeding lines, our repeat buyers and word of mouth are more than enough to keep the animals moving.

Good Luck, I think you will be very happy with this breed. ;-)

It sounds like this might be what I'm looking for. We only sell to friends, and by word of mouth also. My kids play in the fields, so you can see my concern for thier behavior. Even if I told the kids to stay out I'm sure they would'nt. You know how kids are. Thanks for the input.

I am quite sure that the pinzgauer is a fine breed...as attested to by the above posts from these fine folks..... however, I would advise you to look at other breeds before making up your mind....... like the Murray Grey for example.... ;-) :) :cboy:

Latest posts