Cattle Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
What is the best ear tag brand to use? Do you get them numbered or blank? Just wondering getting ready for some fall calves to hit the ground and neeed to order some tags. Thanks

I like Z-tag. It is a one piece tag. I use the pre-numbered. Dont remember the number or the cost but you can get them with your name on them.

I use y tex, I don't know if there the best there just what I have always used. The way I do it is I buy Pre numbered tags and use a color for cows and heifers then another for steer calves and another for my bulls. Then for calves I bring in to feed I use a different color for each group that will stay together and be sold together.

We use Y-Tex for calves and Z tags for permanent tags. If a calf graduates to breeding stock status we replace the calf tag with the Z Tag

pricefarm":1dmpga24 said:
What is the best ear tag brand to use? Do you get them numbered or blank? Just wondering getting ready for some fall calves to hit the ground and neeed to order some tags. Thanks

I use Z-tags as well but number them myself.

TexasBred":1ucrak8x said:
pricefarm":1ucrak8x said:

I use Z-tags as well but number them myself.

Me too. Just save some time down the road and give the calf a permanent # on a cow sized tag now then you dont have to worry about it later on.

Thanks for the advice, I wasnt sure on the one piece tag never used them before, I guess I will give them a try, Thanks :)

The z tags have always worked best for us. We have tried numbering them ourselves with the markers that are recommended for that, but the numbers still wear off sooner than the pre-numbered ones.

banekar":37k9l5sg said:
The z tags have always worked best for us. We have tried numbering them ourselves with the markers that are recommended for that, but the numbers still wear off sooner than the pre-numbered ones.
ditto

after you print your number on microwave it for about 10-15 secs,depending on your microwave,melts the ink in and it lasts a long time

Y-tex makes a gel that sinks into the tag and never fades. Works very, very well. I personally prefer using the engravable Ritchie tags.

banekar":3u7lwnci said:

Number them, allow it to dry, then go over the numbers with a second coat. Has always worked great for me.

Z tags for me also. Mine have my name and cell phone number on them. It helps if something gets out or a drunk runs through your fence. It also looks classy when marketing a group of 7 weights and the seller is proud enough to put his name on them.

Jake":2vrx22mp said:
Y-tex makes a gel that sinks into the tag and never fades. Works very, very well. I personally prefer using the engravable Ritchie tags.

We use the Ritchie tags also. Put our ranch name on the back of the tag, then the birth year and sire in the top and the cow ID on the bottom in big font. We don't tag calves with the Ritchie tags until they graduate to the breeding herd.

Jake":fsly4t1c said:

Me too! I use Y-Tex for my calves. Then when a yearling heifer makes the group, I switch her to a Ritchie tag. But I still use the Y-Tex Button.

We use custom printed tags for all cows. Can read them from a long distance and they have more flex and don't break as easy. Duflex brand.

Once I use all of my A-Tags (Allflex) up, I will be going back to Z-Tags.

Should have known better. A-Tags are just like the regular Allflex tags, can't handle -50 weather. The little tabs on the back of the tag are breaking off and the tags are slipping out. I can see a lot of tags being replaced, after less than two years in the ears.

I have now tried every major brand of tag and can say that Z-tags are the best for retention and pliability, even though I have lost one or two.

I use z tags and for some reason the flap on the back of the tag is not going to the back of the ear and stays in front. I've lost one tag already and one I tagged tonight the flap didn't go thru the ear. What am I doing wrong?

Latest posts